Tentacles and Torture - Chapter 1

The crunching of leaves and twigs beneath Rowan's feet was all that could be heard as he ventured into one of the more ancient parts of this forest. He estimated that it was a little past midday by now; still plenty of time to get back home with the Cardia Manavore, a flower he needed to finish a potion by tomorrow night.

"I don't think I've been to this part of the forest." Rowan said to himself. "Apart from being full of deadly animals and monsters, it's actually quite nice!"

He found it best to talk to himself on long trips. It made the time go by faster.

The trees overhead were thick with vines and blocked out the sunlight more and more as he delved deeper into the forest. Insects had quickly proved to be a nuisance, but nothing a simple Ward of Deterrence couldn't fix. With an enchantment like that, no animal or insect would ever want to be within 500 feet of him. With this, he killed two birds with one stone: no more annoying bugs, and a guaranteed a safe trip.

He looked at the drawing he copied from his book, Magical Fauna and their Applications, Volume 13. The flower he needed was a deep scarlet with a slight glowing appearance that preferred dark environments. Not much to go on in terms of details but specific enough for him to have it found within the day. Fortunately, in a forest like this, most flowers wouldn't grow so finding one as specific as this would be easy as it had little competition to compete with. The thing is, he was still having trouble finding it, a problem which agitated him.

"I'm certain I should have found it by now." Rowan complained. "I've passed through so much of the forest and I've not seen even a single sprouting of the cursed thing. Perhaps it still isn't dark enough in this part of the forest even with all the shade."

He stopped and composed himself.

"Right. That settles it. I'd rather not be out all night. Time to do something unnecessarily drastic."

Rowan signed his hands in sequence, trying to remember the names and order of the different hand signs to produce his spell: "rubrum, passia, helia, nyxa photios, xenosta, seekorum... Um... florus."

He flexed and bent his hands into different shapes and symbols as he cast the spell. A smile spread across his face as he felt his magic flow down his arms from his chest and fill his hands as if he had plunged them into hot water. This feeling never got old.

Magical Sign symbols drifted out from his fingers and merged themselves into each other into a spell he crafted to automatically point itself towards the parameters he gave it: red glowing flora that grows in darkness. Sometimes his spell programming impressed even himself. No mere magician could craft a spell that complex.

Instantly the spell popped into existence: a pulsing white sphere with a flowing network of nodes and lines that moved organically as if thinking. In the center of the sphere, a pointer snapped towards his left, indicating a destination that matched the parameters of the spell he created. He smiled and followed it like a compass deeper into the darkness.

Spell signing was not his forte, but not requiring a wand was certainly a plus. He wasn't keen on being dependent on a wand all his life, so he left it at home to force himself to be good at signing on this trip. A bad idea in most cases, depriving yourself of your most valuable tool, but a good motivator to learn and practice nevertheless, at least for today: if you don't use signs, you won't cast spells. If you don't cast spells, you could die.

"Druids." Rowan huffed, changing the subject as if he was having a real conversation with himself. "I haven't any idea how they managed to discover Magical Signing, yet they insist on keeping their potential to nature when they could be of use in our great cities."