Act One: Exiled to Earth

In the High Court of the Time Lords a trial was coming to it send. The accused, a renegade Time Lord known as the Doctor, had already been found guilty. Now it was time for the sentence.
  The Second Doctor looked very out of place standing amongst the dignified Time Lords in their long white robes. To begin with, he was quite a small man. He wore an ancient black coat and a pair of check trousers. He had a gentle, rather comical face and a shock of untidy black hair. But there was strength in that face, too, and keen intelligence in the blue eyes.
  A hush fell as the President of the Court rose, and began to speak. 'Doctor, you have been found guilty of two serious offences against our laws. First, you stole a TARDIS and used it to roam through Time and Space as you pleased.'
  'Nonsense,' said the Second Doctor indignantly. 'I didn't steal it. Just borrowed it for a while.'
  The President ignored the interruption. 'More important, you have repeatedly broken our most important law: interference in the affairs of other planets is a serious crime.'
  Again the Second Doctor interrupted: 'I not only admit my interference, I am proud of it! You just observe the evil in the galaxies. I fight against it.'
  'We have accepted your plea, Doctor, that there is evil in the Universe which must be fought. You still have a part to play in that great struggle.'
  At once the Second Doctor began to look hopeful. 'You mean you're going to let me go?'
  'Not entirely. We have noted your interest in the planet Earth. You have visited it many times. You must have special knowledge ofthat world and its problems.'
  'I suppose I have,' agreed the Fourth Doctor.
  'You will be sent to Earth in the Twentieth Century Time Zone. You will remain there for as long as we think proper. And for that time the secret of the TARDIS will be taken from you.'
  The Second Doctor was indignant. 'You can't condemn me to exile onone primitive planet, in one particular time.'
  The President's voice was cold. 'We can, and we do. That is theverdict of this Court.'
  A new thought struck the Second Doctor. 'Besides, I'm known on Earth already. It could be most embarrassing for me.'
  'Your appearance has changed before. It will change again. That is part of your sentence.'
  The First Doctor continued to protest. 'You can't just change what I look like without asking me!'
  'You will have an opportunity to choose your new appearance,' said the President patiently. 'Look!'
  As if by magic, a huge screen appeared on one wall of the Court. Upon it the Second Doctor saw a wide variety of faces and forms. At once the Second Doctor started to make trouble. He rejected each one withthe utmost scorn. 'Too thin. Too fat. Too young. Too old. No, Icertainly don't want to look like that, I can tell you.'
  The President of the Court sighed. They were letting the fellow off lightly. He ought to be humble and grateful, not kick up all this fuss.
  'You are wasting time, Doctor,' said the President. 'Since you refuse to take the decision, we shall take it for you.'
  The Second Doctor made no secret of his indignation.
  'Well, I've got a right to decide what I'm going to look like,' he grumbled. 'They attach a great deal of importance to these things onEarth. I mean, it's not my fault if this is the best you can do, is it? I've never seen such a terrible looking bunch!'
  Ignoring the Doctor's protests and complaints, the President sent a thought-impulse to a fellow Time Lord who sat at a nearby control panel. The Time Lord's fingers moved swiftly over the rows of buttons.
  Immediately the Second Doctor was held in the grip of a force-field. Unable to move, he felt the entire courtroom dissolve round him into a sort of spinning blackness.

* * * * * 

Sam Seeley moved through Oxley Woods like a rather tubbyghost. Sam was the most expert poacher for miles around, and proud of it.
  Many a time he'd slipped by within inches of a watching gamekeeper. Soundlessly he moved through the woods, stopping from time to time to check his rabbit traps.
  He mopped the sweat from his brow as he moved along. No business to be as hot as this, not in October. Worse than a midsummer night it was. Seeley blamed it on those atom-bombs. Suddenly a fierce whizzing and hissing filled the air around him.
  Terrified, Seeley dropped to the ground, muffling his head in hispoacher's sack. The terrifying noise continued.
  He heard soft thumping sounds, as if heavy objects were burying themselves in the forest earth around him. At last there came silence.
  Sam looked up cautiously. Within a few feet of his head theground was smoking gently. Cautiously Sam reached for a stick andstarted to scrape away the earth. Within minutes he uncovered thetop half of a buried sphere, roughly the size of a football. The spherewas smooth, almost transparent. It pulsed and glowed with an angrygreen light. It seemed somehow alive. Sam reached out to touch it,then pulled back his hand. The thing was red hot.
  Hurriedly, Sam replaced the earth over his find and movedaway. He'd come back again when it had cooled down, in daylight.He set off for home.
  But Sam Seeley was in for an even more terrifying experienceas he crossed the dark woods. Just as he came to a moonlit clearing, a strange wheezing and groaning filled the air. Sam slipped behind atree and froze as still as any rabbit.
  Before his unbelieving gaze an old blue police box was appearing out of thin air. It took shape, becoming solid as he watched. The weird groaning sound died away and the box just stood there, looking sad and lost in the moonlit clearing. Slowly, the doorstarted to open.
  Not daring to move, Sam watched as a man came out of thepolice box. A tall thin man, with a deeply lined face and untidy white hair. Terrified as he was, Sam noticed that the man's old black coat and check trousers were both far too small for him.
  The Third Doctor looked around as if in a daze. He looked straight at Sam, yet didn't seem to see him. Frowning with concentration, the man produced a key and carefully locked the door of the police box behind him. Then he took a couple of wobbly steps and collapsed.
  At this Sam Seeley's nerve finally broke. He crashed off through the woods, running for home like a man chased by demons.