chapter 21-jealous

CHAPTER 21: JEALOUS

Tonight was going to be just swell. Swell and awkward. Swell being sarcastic of course, and awkward; 100% true. It’s funny how I didn’t realise sooner and put the pieces together that if Zayn was “douchebag boy” who was friends with Josh back in Liverpool those days ago, it was going to be only a matter of time that Josh was going to pop back into my life somehow. I just didn’texpect to go down like this. Go down so awkward. 

I didn’t dare to look him in the eye as we both silently stood in the group circle. I laughed every now and then, mainly laughing at Niall as oppose to with, but I just couldn’t bring myself to get into the conversation when I felt so incredibly uncomfortable. Instead, I planned out my night in my head; avoid Josh as much as possible, stay with Zayn, mingle with Danielle and Eleanor, have a few drinks, avoid Josh as much as possible and go back to Zayn’s apartment so we could snuggle and fall asleep in each other’s arms. It was the perfect plan. But unfortunately, life as we know it is a bitch and hardly goes to plan the way we want it to.

“You haven’t had a drink yet, Hols!” Niall pointed out,

“You’re right!” I exclaimed, more than happy to have an excuse to get out of the circle, “I’m gonna go get one.” 

I walked on over to Lou and Harry’s home made bar and scanned the vast selection of drinks they had up for grabs. I wasn’t really much of a drinker, I only ever really did it socially now and then, but maybe tonight there was an exception to wanting to drink more than usual. I grabbed the bottle of Smirnoff and took three shots, downing it with a can of Red Bull and squinted my eyes together as the acid flowed through my chest to my stomach. 

“Keen on drinking a lot tonight then?” a voice chuckled behind me,

I turned around and Josh’s presence took me off guard as I backed into the bar table startled, “You scared me!” I sighed,

“And you’re ignoring me,” he smirked,

Shit. I turned back to the bar table putting down my Red Bull, “What? No I’m not.” I tried my best to keep my cool, “I’m not ignoring you at all.”

“Oh?” he asked,

“Yeah.” I lied, eagerly pouring myself another shot, 

“Holly,” he laughed, “You haven’t said one word to me or looked me in the eye ever since you got here. Even when Niall ‘introduced’ us.”

I frowned as I drank my next shot and turned to him staring straight into his eyes, “I’m looking you in the eye right now aren’t I?”

He shook his head as a half smile appeared on his face, reminding me of the first time I saw it and how I fell deep into infatuation. “You know, it doesn’t have to be awkward between us.” he said stepping closer to me, “You did reject me remember?” 

I circled my finger around the rim of my shot glass thinking of what to do next. I guess it didn’t have to be awkward. He was the one who got rejected. But this whole situation was just too weird for me and I couldn’t grasp the fact that the guy I met at the bar those days ago who I almost kissed was conveniently one of Zayn’s friends. Oh and on top of that, the boys’ drummer.

I looked at Josh and smiled knowing the answer straight away. 

Another shot! 

“Woah Holly, steady!” Lou laughed pulling my hand away from the Smirnoff bottle, “You’ve had far too many shots in just a few minutes!”

Thank God. Lou was a life saver. He came in at just the right time. I wasn’t sure how much longer I could deal with the awkward vibes that were pulsing through whenever Josh was near. It wasn’t like me to think alcohol was the answer, so it was good Lou was there to bring me back to my senses. Although, with downing four shots already in just minutes, my senses were long gone.