Ten✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

"Running Out of Time"

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Winter's fingers drummed against the desk before her as she sat, eyes watching as Coral's group searched for their next victim.

Two tributes had been killed while she was gone. Lamina from Seven and Tanner from Ten. She was glad she had missed it. She hadn't known Lamina, she had never spoken to her but she had seen how the girl had refused to partake in the fighting, had lost her District partner to Coral and her group and had freed Marcus from his suffering.

She didn't need to know her to see that Lamina was a good person. Someone who, in the end, had lost everything and remained true to herself.

Tanner was a different kettle of fish. He had been a part of Coral's group, he took part in tormenting the other tributes but he still didn't deserve to die. Winter knew that everything he had done in there was to keep himself alive, to secure his way back home to his family.

They were just children after all. Children being forced to pay the price for a rebellion that ended ten years ago. The District's had lost and yet the Capitol just couldn't let it go. They had to remind them of it yearly by brutally killing their most innocent.

Holding someone accountable for their actions in the arena was a stupid thing to do. Winter had no idea what it was like for them, she had no idea what she would do in that situation, and to judge would be to go against everything she stood against.

Like Lamina, Tanner didn't deserve to die. None of them did.

"Seven tributes remain," Lucky announced to the cameras with a smile. "Merciless Mizzen, Cunning Coral, Treacherous Treech, Dill, Reaper, of course, and the lone wolves, little Wovey and Lucy Gray."

The waiting made Winter more and more anxious by the second. She wondered what was going through Reaper's mind. She hoped he had an idea of what he was going to do. She had told him it had to be a dramatic scene, an act of defiance but she had no idea how he would even go about that.

It was a difficult task, she knew it was. She and Dolon had thrust a mountain of pressure onto him by telling him that he had to be the one to set it off. But she had faith in Reaper, she knew that he was capable of doing it. He was probably the only one who could.

It was an easy fee to pay. An act of defiance in exchange for his life being saved.

When the idea had been brought up to him he knew he'd be foolish to decline. He had come to the Capitol with the mentality of showing them that what they were doing was wrong and that he wouldn't be a part of their mess. Everything had changed when he met his mentor. Winter had given him the one thing he never expected to get when he had left his home.