2 • Forgotten Affections

The sun dipped below the horizon, casting a warm, golden glow across the quaint town as Yuvika contemplated the perfect birthday gift for Neil. It had to be something special, something that would reflect the depth of their connection. After much thought, she decided on a rare vintage watch that he had been eyeing for months.

"Hello! Did you do my 'work'? Great! Main khud pick karne jaungi!",said Yuvika on her call. As she cut it, she smiled. It was Neil's birthday and she knew she had to have the best gift ready.

With determination in her eyes and excitement in her heart, Yuvika left the Mahajan office to pickup her 'special gift' for Neil. She chose to drive herself, relishing the solitude of the open road and the chance to clear her thoughts.

As Yuvika set out in her sleek silver car, the night enveloped the landscape, revealing a sky dotted with stars. The rhythmic hum of the engine provided a soothing soundtrack to her contemplations. The roads stretched ahead, a dark ribbon guiding her towards the promise of a memorable birthday surprise.

Unbeknownst to Yuvika, fate had a different plan for the night. The road was eerily quiet, with only the occasional flicker of streetlights illuminating the way. Lost in her thoughts, Yuvika failed to notice the distant headlights approaching from behind.

As she neared a dimly lit intersection, the tranquility of the night was shattered by the deafening roar of an oncoming truck. Panic surged through her veins as she tried to swerve out of its path, but it was too late. The blaring horn and screeching tires merged into a symphony of chaos.

The impact was brutal, a collision that sent shockwaves through the metal frame of Yuvika's car. The world spun into a disorienting whirlwind of lights and shadows. The airbag deployed with a violent force, cushioning the impact but leaving her dazed and breathless.

Time seemed to warp as Yuvika grappled with the aftermath of the collision. The smell of gasoline lingered in the air, and the ominous sound of approaching sirens intensified her growing sense of dread. Pain radiated through her body, but the throbbing ache in her head demanded her immediate attention.

"Mummy!",she whispered. Her sight becoming hazy with every successive breathe. Blood trickled down her forehead, matting her hair and staining her hands. Panic set in as she became aware of the warm, sticky sensation on her skin.

Summoning every ounce of strength, Yuvika attempted to assess the extent of her injuries. The dim glow of the dashboard revealed a harrowing scene - shattered glass, twisted metal, and an airbag deflated like a defeated balloon. The gravity of the situation settled heavily upon her shoulders.

With each passing moment, the bleeding from her head wound intensified. Yuvika's vision blurred, and the world around her became a chaotic swirl of colors and shadows. Fear tightened its grip on her as she struggled to stay conscious, desperately trying to make sense of the surreal nightmare unfolding.

The distant wail of sirens grew louder, providing a glimmer of hope amid the darkness. Yuvika clung to consciousness, her breaths shallow and labored. As the first responders arrived at the scene, their urgent voices and flashing lights punctuated the night, and Yuvika let go of her consciousness.

....::::**•°✾°•**::::....

The hospital corridors echoed with the distant hum of life-saving machines and hurried footsteps as Neil, along with the Mahajans, rushed through the entrance. Panic etched deep lines on Neil's face, his eyes darting from one nurse to another in search of any information about Yuvika. The Mahajans, concerned and supportive, followed Neil as he approached the front desk. The receptionist, sensing the urgency in Neil's eyes, spoke in a hushed tone, "Sir, Yuvika ma'am is being operated. Please aap shaant hojaiye and waiting area me wait karein"