𝟐 | 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐄𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐠𝐞 𝐇𝐚𝐬

3rd POV

3rd POV

It has been 48 hours already and the Port Mafia were waiting for you guys just as promised.

"So have you three decided yet?"

"Yes, it's a deal," Mori smiled, "But first, you have to tell us a couple of things."

"What would that be?"

"First, tell us what we have to do to help you guys and where we are going. Second, tell us about the outside world. Third, promise us you'll take all the children with us, that they don't have to help you guys, and that they'll be safe," Ray negotiated. 

"Those are easy requests so we'll give them to you, Dazai, you can do the talking," The boss stepped to the side. 

"We'll take you three to our base which is in someplace called Yokohama. In there, you guys will join the Intelligence Unit which just gathers information about different organizations, how much money we are making, and stuff. It isn't that far away from here as it is still in Japan. The outside world isn't managed by human-eating creatures but by regular humans. Although, they aren't that different from monsters... We'll take all the children with us and they'll be provided with a safe place and we will not make them help us. Does that satisfy the three of you?" 

The three of you looked at one another nodding, "Yes, it's a deal." 

"Glad you guys will be joining us soon. We'll be rescuing you all in five days from now on at exactly midnight," Mori explained. 

......

 It was nighttime, and Norman and Ray were currently talking about the spy among the children. 

"What are you talking about, Norman?" 

"You already know, don't you? I laid a trap for you," Ray fell on the bed and started laughing. 

"Aw, man. I thought I really had you going. You're right. I'm Mom's mole. When did you start suspecting me?"  

"Actually it was Y/N who told me you were a spy," Norman explained making Ray widen his eyes, "She said you being the mole would benefit the enemy the most. You can influence our plans, and you're in the perfect position to control everything. You're the best man for the job." 

"I see, so you set a trap for me and I fell right into it." 

"Y/N also said this probably isn't recent. There's no way Mom would so readily trust a new recruit. How long have you been doing this?" 

"Ever since I got here. I've been working for her for a real long time now. I'm basically a sheepdog." 

"So you knew all along and still helped Mom?" 

"Yeah," Ray answered with a lie. 

"Was it all lies? Your friendship with me and your love for Y/N? And planning the escape with us? How much have you told Mom? The transmitters can be destroyed, right?"

 "Why do you ask? Will you cut me off if you don't like my answers?"

"I won't You'll remain by our side, just like you always have. Aren't you glad? You can cover up the fact that you've been exposed." 

"What are you after?" 

"Three things. One: stay with us like always and guarantee our safety. Two: tell me everything you know. Three: defect. Work for me instead for the next five days until we get out," Norman smiled. 

"You want to use me as your trump card?" 

"Yeah." 

"Are you stupid? If that's what you were after, you should've used me without saying anything, manipulated me into doing what you wanted, and then abandoned me during the escape. That would've been a much surer bet!" 

"You're right, but Y/N didn't want that so that changed my mind. I want to believe in you too. Believe that you're more of a friend than an enemy. Besides, you're the one who hid Little Bernie, right? That night, if you hadn't said we could still make it we wouldn't have gone to the gate. You set things up so we would learn the House's secret on our own. You engineered this escape plan for our sake, didn't you? So then why are you acting as Mom's lapdog? If you truly were her lapdog, you would never have done anything to help us learn the truth. You were keeping us on a leash so could keep our progress in check. But at the same time, you were keeping Mom on a leash too, weren't you? You really aren't our enemy, right?"

Ray smiled once more, "I volunteered myself. Or well, it's more accurate to say I offered my services. It was all to lay the groundwork for this escape! The best place to learn about the enemy and gather material was on their side. So I went to Mom and proposed a deal." 

"That was too risky." 

"I knew the odds were in my favour. I'm a perfect scorer raised with great love and care. Mom would want to avoid shipping me out early. I was sure of that. And when it comes down to it, she cares more about profits than rules. I asked her for two things. One: 'I'll work for you, so don't ship me out immediately.' Two: 'Pay me if my work is satisfactory.'"

"Pay you?" 

"With all kinds of junk. And if the House doesn't have it, I can have it delivered. I tried several things to figure out what I could or couldn't get. And to learn more about the outside world. What I found was that I could get almost anything as long as it wasn't hazardous. Most things I got were outdated, though." 

"Is that why you said you had some ideas of getting rid of the transmitters?" 

"I've seen the actual things. After years of experimentation, I figured out how to destroy them. The transmitters can be neutralized for sure. Do you get it? The guy sitting in front of you is a great trump card. Be it about the transmitters or about Mom, I hold more info that can help the escape than you could ever imagine. I've been preparing for this ever since I learned the truth behind the House." 

"Ray..."

"All this so I protect the two of you from dying! I agreed to take their offer because you said you would handle everything, you better not mess anything up, Norman," With that, Ray got up. 

"Be honest Ray..." He stopped moving, "You became Mom's spy so you could protect Y/N." 

Without answering Ray opened the door and headed to the library. 

In there you were quietly reading a book, "Ray, you're here," You smiled patting the seat next to you indicating for him to sit down. 

He sat down next to you, "What are you doing up this late?"

"I waited for you," You answered putting your head on his shoulder. 

"So you knew about me being Mom's spy. Why didn't you say anything?" 

"Because I didn't want to admit, you were Mom's spy out of all the children here. I wanted myself to be wrong." 

"..." 

"But then I thought about why you became a spy in the first place, and it always led me back to one answer..." 

"And what may that be?" 

"That you just wanted to protect us." There was a moment of silence, you looked at Ray in his eyes offering him a smile, "Thank you for bearing the weight of the horrifying knowledge for our sake."

You saw tears in the corner of his eyes, you wiped them off before hugging him tightly making him do the same, "Thank you, Y/N..." 

You had your hands in his hair, massaging it, "Ray, let's make sure to get out of this together." 

He pulled a little bit away from the hug and looked at your eyes, "Of course." 

.

.

.

.