one

( welcome to colorado )

Jackie, my twin sister, and I had just grabbed our bags and started walking toward the exit when Uncle Richard called. She passed me one of her AirPods to listen. I forced a smile as we greeted him. My palms were sweaty as I wiped them on my jeans.

"Was the flight okay, girls?"

"Fine," Jackie replied as I nodded.

"Are you okay?"

"Yep," we said in unison, though I tried to sound a bit more enthusiastic.

"Listen girls, I'm sorry I couldn't come with you to meet the Walters-," Jackie cut Uncle Richard off.

"I think we see them, we better go."

My stomach turned all knotty when I looked up to see Katherine and her husband coming our way.

Uncle Richard spoke again, "Girls, I know it's a big change. Keep your heads up; I'm here whenever you need me, all right? Text me later."

I smile as his words comfort me a bit, "Thanks Uncle Richard, bye."

We hung up as Katherine came over to us and the knots in my stomach returned. She hugged and greeted us and asked if we needed anything, to which we politely declined. It was strange, to be hugging someone that my mom always talked about and knew so well. I felt shy and kept my eyes forward as we followed them to their car. I wasn't always like this, but ever since the accident I haven't really felt like myself either. It feels like a piece of me is missing and it's impossible to get back. I couldn't handle the silence in the car so I pulled out my camera.

"Is it okay if I roll down the window for some shots?"

Katherine smiled, "Of course, honey."

"Thanks."

Whenever we slowed down, I took pictures of the landscape. It was beautiful, almost the complete opposite of New York. We eventually pulled into a dirt road that led to a huge yellow house. I could also see the ranch and some horses. Lucy would love that, I thought to myself.

I followed Katherine as she asked if we were feeling okay. I nodded as Jackie gave another "Fine."

"Let's get you girls inside. We'll introduce you to everybody."

Dread consumed me at her words, I wasn't great at meeting new people. And in this strange situation it'd probably be worse. Suddenly, Katherine got a call though. She turned around to answer it and I looked to Jackie when a boy suddenly appeared yelling, "Move!" Jackie seemed startled so I looped my arm in hers and gave her a reassuring smile. As different as Jackie and I were, we only had each other now. Then, a boy on a chair called out to us.

"Hi," he pointed to himself, "Danny!"

"Hi, I'm Jackie."

"I'm Charlotte," I said, as loud as I could so he could hear.

Still on the phone, Katherine led us inside the house. George walked us towards a room with video game sounds coming from it when a little boy ran past us.

"Benny stop running!"

"I'm not running," he said as he proceeded to run away.

If we'd been there for any other reason, I might've laughed, but at that moment I just looked in to what seemed to be the living room instead.

There was two boys playing video games as George introduced us. The one on the left was Alex and the one on the right was Isaac. Alex stood up for some reason as Isaac said, "What's up?"