four

( the cole effect )

"What?" I replied.

"Come on, you have to. There's no way I'm third wheeling your sister and my little brother," Cole said.

"Who said you'd be third wheeling?" I try to fight back.

He scoffs, "Don't pretend you haven't seen them. It's only a matter of time before they go full PDA on us."

I roll my eyes, "I still don't see why I have to go just because you have to fill in for Will."

He smiles at me like a devil, "Because I refuse to suffer alone."

"Just so you know, I hate you for this."

"Nah," he says as I start to walk with him. He puts his arm around my shoulders, "I think I'm growing on you, New York."

I stick out my tongue at him, pouting like a child and he just laughs.

Cole and I are walking into the fair and I see a bunch of booths and carts offering different items. I'd never seen anything like this in New York. People were wearing red and I was matching unknowingly. Suddenly, I heard a man speaking into a microphone at the end on a big stage.

"Welcome, everybody, to the Silver Falls High Homecoming Huddle and charity drive!" He said as people cheered. I shivered in the autumn cold and wrapped my arms around me. Of course, I forgot to grab a sweater. The man continues, "Let's get this started! Give a hand for the Bighorns cheerleaders!!"

I'm trailing behind Cole like a lost child when he turns to me all of a sudden, "Are you cold?"

"What?"

"You're shivering and you have your arms around yourself."

"Oh. Yeah, I forgot my sweater."

He shakes his head in mock disappointment, "Here." He hands me the flannel he has over his gray hoodie.

"Thanks," I say quietly. "So, where are the two lovebirds anyway?"

"This way," he takes my hand and leads me through the crowd. I don't which of the two is making me dizzier.

"How we doing Bighorns?" I hear Erin's voice through the speakers and as I see cart that says 'Walters,' I drop Cole's hand. Erin keeps talking to the crowd, "Today would not be possible without our Silver Falls Alumni Association, so please welcome the SFAA President and Bighorns quarterback, class of '92, Mato Summerhill!!"

I watch as the crowd yells louder and a curly haired man takes the stage. I look to Cole, but his eyes seem glued to the cider barrel as Mato talks.

"Wow, thank you for that warm welcome! I just want to take this moment to give my deepest gratitude for everyone coming out to support the school football team. And a friendly reminder to you all that this year's worthy cause: giving the school auditorium a much-needed makeover! So please give as generously as you can! Go Bighorns, whoo!!"

I clap and turn to see Cole already started selling cider. I step behind the cart and poke his side, he turns to me, "What?"

"Are you sure you need my help? The cart's pretty small anyway."

"You are not leaving me alone with them," he glares at me playfully.

I sigh sarcastically, "It was worth a try."

Then, a red haired lady stops and buys a cider.

"Now, you didn't hear this from me," Cole says as he closes the lid and hands her the cup of cider. "But, our cider pairs very nicely with rum." The lady smiles as she hands him the money and when she turns, I slap his arm.