23 || That "I'm So F*cked" Kind Of Trouble

Ocean Eyes - Billie Eilish

𓆩𓆪
Evie

Quiet.

That's all I've been engulfed in for the past three days.

Because for the last three days I've had the house to myself with the guys traveling down to Connecticut for hockey.

I've had a simple schedule and an even simpler routine since they left.

I'll admit it's been pretty lonely, going from a full house to just myself was a major reality check. And I can't remember a day I've been used to this little noise and not seeing any of them the minute I wake up.

Though, I heard them come back late last night, but they were all asleep when I woke up this morning.

The only volume I've had in my life since then has been Reese's constant questions which have led to even louder, intrusive thoughts. So when Jane asked for a cover today, I gladly accepted.

Money and work. Something to take my mind off a few things for a while.

Only it didn't last that long due to a phone call halfway through my shift. I hesitate answering, knowing if I do it'll likely lead to even more questioning.

Realizing the bookstore is a ghost town though, I stick an earbud in to answer the call. "Hello?"

"Evie..." I can hear Reese's curious tone through the phone.

Stepping into the back closet I answer. "Whatever you're about to ask me Reese, it can wait. I'm at work." I explain, grabbing a box of merchandise and walking to the front.

I take a cautious look around, making sure I'm alone before I kneel down to open the box.

If I remember correctly she should be in art class right now, but they must be doing independent work if she's able to call me.

Her next words don't surprise me. "Okay, okay, I'll be quick. I have to finish this oil painting anyways so I need to focus." There's a slight pause before she continues. "I just wanna know if we're still going to the mall tomorrow."

I can tell by her voice that the question is only to stall and not her true intent of calling me so randomly. "Yes we're still going. Is that all?" I ask knowing it's not.

I take out what I'm supposed to restock, and the only section that needs restocking is none other than the one related to hockey.

I separate the t-shirts from the sweatshirts and crewnecks as Reese goes silent on the other end. "Reese?" I call out.

"Yes," she answers back.

I sigh and start putting the shirts on hangers. "Spit it out."

A few seconds later with a couple shirts on the hangers I wait for her response. Preparing myself for the ridiculous question she's about to ask.

"Is he good in bed?"

My eyes widen, and her rather intrusive question does nothing but make me laugh. I know where she's trying to go with this, and so I decide to play with her a little bit.

"He sleeps like a rock for your information."

I can sense the distaste in her hum as that clearly wasn't the answer she was looking for. Especially not after I told her about the situation I'm in, and who I'm sharing a bed with.

"That's not what I meant." Reese grumbles like a deprived gossiper.

"Well sorry to disappoint then," I'm smiling to myself knowing she's prying for information she won't get, nor exists for that matter. "I'm sorry if I didn't understand the question."