Chapter 18: Doctor

George POV.

When Niki stopped the car by the front door I saw my father standing there. He was straight-backed with an expressionless face. I didn’t know what he was thinking right now as I slunk around the side of the vehicle and opened Dream’s door. Once again the blond stepped out, trusting me completely despite the situation.

“I’m disappointed in you George.” My father said with a sigh without even giving a 'hi' or 'hello' or anythint. “You are ditching school to hang out with him. And sneaking him out of the house, someone could see!”

“I’m sorry Dad.” I responded, feeling annoyed at him for bringing us here. “But why did you want us to come here?” If he had an issue with me ditching school then why not just send me back to school?

“Well when I found out that Dream was with you and you weren't at school then I decided to bring you here. Dream needs to have a check-up. If you want him to stay with us then he’s going to have to come here weekly for us to give him a check-up. Plus I figured I needed some more rules for you both since he has run off once already.” Dream was standing alongside me now, letting out a low growl directed to my father.

“It’s okay.” I reassured the blond. “I won’t let him hurt you.” He looked at me with complete trust, a sympathetic look that almost made my heart melt with pity. My father watched this interaction, seeming to note the way that Dream grew quiet the moment that I had spoken to him. Then with a curt nod of the head he led us inside.

My hand stayed holding Dream’s, a quiet reassurance that I wouldn’t leave him here or let him get hurt in any way as my father led us into the facility. This place had used to be a comfort to me but now it felt foreign and hostile. It felt like some demented horror movie, where I would be lured away from the group and dissected by a mad scientist.

“Why did you bring him to school George?” My father asked, talking to me as though I was a disobedient child who had somehow snuck a puppy into my backpack or something. “Did I not tell you that he was dangerous? Or that something could happen to him?”

“He came of his own will.” I explained. “Before I left I asked him if he was alright to stay at home all day and he said that he was. He walked all the way to school to find me Dad.” My hand squeezed the blond’s tighter as I spoke, noting the way his piercing eyes moved to look at me the moment my hand made contact.

“Perhaps he is scared of being alone or something.” I offered, noting the way that my father nodded at my suggestion.
“Maybe I should enrol him in school alongside you.” He hummed out, although it seemed like more of a spoken thought to himself.

“What?” I asked, shocked by the fact that he was talking about allowing Dream to come to school with me. I wasn’t sure I completely believed that he wanted Dream to come to school with me, especially after he had done that big talk about how nothing bad could be allowed to happen to the blond.

“He got out of the house, either with your help or on his own, and he headed towards the school. It is likely that he would do the same every time, since studies we have done show that he is a creature of habit…” Dream glanced over, seemingly knowing that we were talking about him. I smiled softly, reassured it was nothing.

“How did he even find my school?” I asked. “Did you put a GPS in his brain or something?” Once again Dream’s eyes widened and I held his hand. It was clear to me that he knew we were talking about him. I avoided eye contact so it would feel less awkward for me.

Eventually my father opened the door to a room I had not been in before, where a woman with white hair and blue eyes stood waiting. “DR3_M, please take a seat.” She motioned over to a bench and his eyes widened. Immediately he grabbed my arm and backed away, similarly to how he did when he pulled me out of the lab a few days ago.

Although I did not like any of this, I knew that my father would jot allow Dream to return home with us if I didn't let him get examined. So, despite his hesitance I looked over at him in an attempt to coax him.

“Dream, it’s okay,” I tried to soothe him. “I won’t let anything hurt you.” it seemed like he believed me as he calmed down, although continuing to clutch my hand as he usually did. I looked over to my father plainly, waiting to see what he wanted me to do with the blond. Without a word I was motioned back inside.

The female doctor allowed us to pass her towards the medical bench that was in one corner of the room. As I walked I focused on Dream’s unreadable expressions, trying my best to decipher how he was feeling. It seemed that he was worried, having some fearful memories about something to do with this.

When I started feeling guilty about having him in here I looked away. I didn’t want something bad to happen to Dream and him to hate me because of it. My gaze landed on the spot where we were expected to sit. It was pure metal, with the light from overhead bouncing off of its surface and causing an unsettling glow, but that wasn’t what I was focusing on.

On each end of the bench there were a set of restraints which seemed to be metal. Around each of them were faint scratch marks which brought my gaze back over to Dream. Is that why he hated this place? Was he restrained here whenever they were doing anything to him? I decided to look away from the blond and back towards the female doctor and noticed more.

She wasn’t wearing your traditional Doctor’s lab coat, instead had something that had clearly been modified and included a lot more protective padding, causing my eyes to narrow further. I wondered what sort of sick things had happened here. As the blond worriedly sat down I sat beside him.

“George… you don’t have to sit down.” The woman, who I still didn’t know the name of, insisted. I only need DR3_M sitting.” I ignored her, muttering something about how I’d rather sit with my friend, which made a quiver of a smile appear on Dream’s face. However the smile disappeared as quickly as it appeared.

My father’s face remained monotone the entire time, so I looked away from him and back towards my blond friend.
______________________________________
1179 words