17. | HATE

She watched as he glared at her from a distance as Rick recalled the plan for the night. After a full day of travel, no food, and no water, everyone was exhausted, and tensions were rising, but the look he gave her was the same look he always gave her. She knew he was under pressure to find food, and he was still hurting from the loss of Beth, but his face never changed when she was around. He had barely spoken a dozen words to her the entire time she had been with the group, and even though everyone trusted her and enjoyed her company and willingness, Daryl still despised her.

She had tried many times to befriend him, offered to help him with anything possible, and proved herself worthy of a place within the group, but it wasn't good enough.

Several hours later, the sun had set, and they were all huddled together in a rancid-smelling barn. She and Daryl were on watch; although he had tried to convince Rick he was fine on his own, Rick didn't give in to Daryl's tantrum.

They sat a few meters apart, both watching cautiously through the cracks of the boarded-up windows. Neither had said a word to the other for the last hour.

As she watched the wind begin to pick up and the branches of the trees swaying, she could feel eyes on her. She glanced to the side of her, only just catching Daryl looking at her before he swiftly turned his head.

She sighed, "Why do you hate me?"

He didn't move or say a word for a long time. She sighed once more and turned to look back out at the tree.

"I don't hate you. I hate myself."

She heard his deep voice say in almost a whisper.