Sam

February 2023

The ticking of the clock was louder than usual. The cars in LA were louder than usual. It's one am and I can't sleep. I feel empty. I haven't felt like this in a while. I don't know why I even felt like this at some point and I most certainly don't know why I feel like this right now. I don't know why but I have a feeling something is going to happen today.
Its 7 am. It has been 6 hours and I was still not sleeping. I wasn't even on my phone, I was just staring at the ceiling thinking, something I do a lot lately. I just randomly get lost into thoughts.
Oh shit look at that, 8 am already might as well just start the day at this point.
I went down to the kitchen feeling hungry. I opened the fridge and just looked at for a good 5 minutes, not even looking for food just staring.
I closed the fridge, ,,Actually not that hungry" I mumbled mostly to myself.
I didn't see Colby, which didn't surprise me since I always ,,wake up" before him, mostly because I don't even go to sleep. I had problems problems with sleeping for a while, mostly because of editing so I brushed it off. Speaking of editing, I have to finish editing the video for our channel. I sight and go back upstairs realising I just stood in the middle of the kitchen lost in thoughts again. Sat on my desk and started editing. This is gonna be a long day...

It's been like 3 hours and no signs of Colby. What the hell, he usually wakes up at this point. I decided I should go to his room see what he's up to.
I knocked on his door, no answer, huh? Knocked again, still no answer. I got a little annoyed so I just entered the room. . . . He wasn't there? He would have told me if he went anywhere, I decided to just call him. The phone rung for a few seconds. . . .
-Sam?
-Colby where are you? I don't know why I sounded panicked
-Dude, calm down, I'm at the doctors, I told you yesterday. He said chuckling a little. I definitely did not find that amusing at all.
-What? You told me?
-Yea dude, you were downstairs sitting on the beanbag with your laptop, don't you remember?
Yesterday? Down stairs? On the beanbag with my laptop?
-Did I have my hood up?
-Yea why?
You have gotta be kidding me
-Dude I was asleep
-Are you serious?! Basically whisper yelling
-Yea! Anyways why are you at the doctors anyway?
-Oh, remember how I told you that my ball was hurting? Yea well I wanna get it checked up. He said it so casually I actually found it funny
-Oh yea right, well I'm a go back to editing.
-Yea alright. Byeee sammyyyyy! he said in a childish high pitched voice and hung up
I couldn't help but giggle at the nickname.

Some time later

I was actually really bored. I didn't eat anything so I went downstairs to the kitchen. The thing is I didn't even feel hungry, just bored. I sighed and went back upstairs. Why not hang out with Kat, she was my girlfriend anyway.

Canadian Queen 👑 ❤️

Kaaaaaattttt
Katrinaaaaaaaa
😂😂😂
What is it Sam
Wanna come over,
watch a movie
maybe idk
Yea sure, be there soon
Love ya ❤️

See you! Love ya too ❤️

I was lost in thought again. Colby. What if it was something really serious.
I'm kind of scared. Calm down Sam, Colby hooks up a lot maybe it's some STD or some shit. But what if it's not? Testicular cancer is pretty common in young men. No what am I thinking, the only cancer he could get was lung cancer because of how much he was vaping in the trap house days. But let's hope it's none of that.
I flinched when I heard my phone.
Either Colby or Kat.
It was Colby.
-Hey dude what's up?
-So, uhm, Sam.
-Yea that's me. I chuckled a little then instantly stopped since I realized it might be serious. So did something happen?
-Yea well, he sighed, he was scaring me at this point, I got it.
What has he got? I'm scared. No. I'm terrified. What the hell
-W-what?
-Testicular cancer.
Cancer. That word. It scared me. My head started to spin. It felt like everything was in slow motion. Then it hit me. Colby. My best friend of YEARS, had cancer.
-S-Sam you there?
-Yea yea. I'm here. So, uhm, how does it feel? Well that was a stupid question.
-To be honest. Not much different. Tomorrow I'll go into surgery to remove the tumor. Everything is gonna be alright. I'll get through it.
-Of course you are! I tried sounding optimistic, definitely didn't work.
So when are you coming home?
-About an hour and a half. I still have some tests to do.
-Oh alright! Well, see you soon!
-Byee! And he hung up.

I let out a breath I definitely knew I held. I felt a pair of arms wrap around me. It was Katrina. I didn't even notice that she already came, and I most definitely didn't notice that I was crying. I didn't know why. I knew he was gonna get through it, but it was fucking scary. I just relaxed in my girlfriends arms. I cried and I also questioned myself why, even though I knew damn well the answer to that. And that was, that I was terrified, but also right there and then, I made a promise to myself, Take care of Colby and make him my top priority. He was all that mattered to me right now and I could not lose him.
God it's been a month since the year started, it couldn't get any worse right?

989 words
Wowwww first book so criticism is appreciated. Also if I make any mistakes please correct me lmao.
Also pretty slow updates , because school smh
Anyway, take care everyone 🫶🏻