The Summoning

You opened the trap door. It was so small you had to get on your knees, peering into the dark space. There was no other way out, though, so this was your only choice.

"It looks like the space gets wider as you go down. I think I see stairs, but I can't tell. It's dark," you concluded, looking back towards Andrew.

"Is it really the only way out?" Andrew asked, biting his bottom lip.

"What, are you claustrophobic?"

He paused, and his eyes grew distant. "You could say that," he finally said. "I've never been trapped myself."

"Well, we're already in a tight space," you said. You were about to say "You'll live" but instead took stock of his nervous expression. You took on a gentler tone. "Andrew, it'll be fine. We'll just get through this weird place and then we can go back to our original plan."

He nodded, shaking off his nerves.

You shuffled through the black space, trying to ignore the feeling of cobwebs against your skin. The floor was concrete and cold, sending small chills down your spine. Just as the tightness became unbearable, the space began to feel wider.

Soon you stopped crawling, the area becoming big enough to stand in. You started to walk forward, but Andrew pulled you back.

"Watch your step," he murmured, and you noticed the vague outline of stairs. The two of you had already jumped off a building. You weren't planning on repeating that incident with these stairs.

Andrew took the lead this time. It seemed once he was out of the small space, he'd gained more confidence. He slowly descended with you closely behind. Your steps both echoed in the space and you wondered how far this went down.

After a minute, you saw a warm glow at the bottom of the steps. Andrew halted, eyes narrowing.

"Huh. Another door," he said. This whole thing felt awfully suspicious. Nothing about this made sense, but if you turned away now, how would you escape? You slowly walked towards the door, noticing a peephole attached to it.

You jiggled the handle, but it was locked. Andrew knocked, and you heard him suck in a breath. Neither of you had any idea whether there was a friend or foe behind the door. Or if there was simply nothing at all. But there had to be something. For about ten incredibly agonizing seconds, there was silence.

Then, muffled from the other side, you heard, "What's the code?"

Andrew glanced towards you, arching a brow.

Clearing your throat, you asked, "What is this? I want to make sure I have the right place."

"Are you stupid? This is the Demon Summoner Society! What else would it be? Now, say the code. I don't have all day."

You crossed your arms, thinking for a moment. "Er. . . 666?"

The door opened. A cloaked figure stood.

"Oh Lucifer, where are you cloaks?" the person asked, bewildered. They threw two black garments at you before ushering you both in.

"This place feels off . . ," Andrew said, eyes trailing across the room. It was clear he wanted to be out of here as soon as possible. You, however, looked around your surroundings with curiosity. It was clearly some sort of Satanic cult.

Bookshelves lined the walls, filled with dusty leather bound books. Gold framed portraits hung on the walls, of beasts with goat-like horns and sharp teeth. There were many cloaked figures conversing with each other, casually laughing. Maybe this was some kind of party? Part of you wanted to shudder, but more of you wanted to know more about this place.