Chapter 2 - The Girl by the River

Camilo

The girl had short, curly, hazelnut hair, and wore a radiant purple skirt. But I could see what looked like dried blood on it. She also had small cuts and bruises all along her arms. It was only when I clearly heard sniffles that I realized that she was crying. So that is what I heard. What is she doing out here on her own anyway? Oh, wait. I'm here by myself too. Shit.

My thought was interrupted when I heard her small gasps between sobs. Her sniffles made my heart feel. . . strange. I couldn't help but feel empathy for the girl. She looked like she needed help, so I approached her silently. Don't want to startle her.

"Hey-" I tried touching her shoulder gently, but she immediately swatted my hand away and stood from the ground. Her face reflected utter fear. She looked from left to right as if waiting for someone or something to pounce on her. She then turned to look at me, putting her fists up to protect herself.

"Who are you?" She asked. "Where am I? What are you doing here?!" I could tell she was frightened.

I put both hands up, trying to calm her down. "Hey, don't worry. I'm not trying to hurt you," I told her softly. She didn't look convinced. I walked one step closer to her, slowly, making sure not to scare her more than she already was.

She stepped back, "Get away from me." Her warning was serious, something very bad must have happened to her.

When she stepped backwards, I noticed that she was limping. I looked down to see that there was blood running along her right leg. And it wasn't just a drop, it was way too much blood.

"You're hurt," I said.

She didn't react to my comment, she just stood there. If I want to help her, I need to act quickly. Her skirt is too long for me to see the injury, but I can tell that it must be very severe. If I don't help her now, who knows what'll happen to her!

She was breathing heavily, not letting her guard down. I decided that there was no time to waste, so I just kept walking slowly towards her. Unfortunately, the more I moved, the more agitated and nervous she became.

"No, stop. Stay away I said!"

"It's alright," I said. "Look I just want to help you, you're in really bad shape, ok? Just look at yourself, you're not going to get very far if you stay like this. Please, let me help you."

The girl started thinking about it, but she still seemed uncertain. Damn it, what can I do to make her feel like she can trust me? It was then, when my thinking lightbulb started shining brightly. I had second thoughts for a moment, but I couldn't think of another option.

"Hey," I started, "I'll let you in on a little secret, ok?"

The girl looked back at me, a little bit of curiosity flowing inside her eyes.

I put my right hand over my left cheek, gesturing to her that I was about to confess my "secret" to her. Then, I whisper-yelled to her, "I can shapeshift."

She narrowed her eyebrows, clearly a sign that she didn't believe me. I don't blame her; she probably thinks I'm nuts. That is when I shot her a wink before transforming into an exact copy of her. Now we had the same hair, same eyes, same figure. She gasped at the sight in front of her, but she didn't look so scared anymore. She seemed surprised, and I think she relaxed a little.

I waved at her, smiling.

"How-how did you do that?" She asked, stepping forward to take a closer look.

"Wait, don't move," I said. "You could hurt yourself more."

She stopped herself, but she looked even more astonished than before. I think she was more focused on me than on her wound now. This is good, she isn't so terrified anymore. Now I have to find a way to be able to treat that wound without her freaking out and thinking I want to harm her.