Chapter 4 - Family Discussions

Camilo

Carla. Melisa. Noemi. Dulce. Lorena. Man, I had no idea coming up with a name would be so difficult. There are just so many I don't think I can settle for just one- Wait, I got it!

"What about Amelia?" I asked.

The girl turned to look at me, facing away from the window. A small smile formed on her lips. My heart felt warm at the sight, and that was all I needed to know that I had nailed it, "You like that one?"

"I guess," she paused to think, "it sounds nice."

I smiled, "I'm glad you like it, I really think it suits you."

We stayed like that for a moment, gazing into each other's eyes. I could see my reflection in them. Her big, round brown eyes looked attently at my emerald-colored ones. Her eyes looked beautiful, almost sparkling- What am I thinking?!

I cleared my throat, and she quickly looked the other way. "I should, um, tell the others. That, uh, we cleared everything up."

"Yeah, you probably should," she agreed.

"Right," I grabbed the back of my neck. "So, I'll be back in a minute," I started walking out, "don't go anywhe-Uff"

I grabbed the doorknob, but I didn't turn it. As a result, I crashed face-first with the wooden door. I massaged my face as a reaction to the pain, and I heard something behind me. I turned to see a very amused Amelia, laughing her heart out at me. "Hey don't laugh!" I pouted, feeling extremely embarrassed. She received the message and stopped laughing. But it wasn't long enough before she giggled again at my reaction, and I quickly left the bedroom. I headed down the small staircase and walked across the room. Why did I do that? Am I really that stupid? And why does my face feel so hot?!

I reached the door and opened it. Then I headed downstairs to look for my family. "Don't go anywhere?" Why did I even say that? It's not like she can walk or anything. I've never slammed my face on a door like that, so why did I do that when I was thinking of-

"Camilo," I heard someone say. I broke out of my thought bubble and realized I was in the dining room. My family was sitting there, and it seems like they've been waiting impatiently for a while.

My tía Julieta walked forward, "Camilo, how did it go? Is she alright?"

"Oh, yeah. She's fine, she was just scared and confused," I said.

Abuela Alma stepped in, "Did she tell you why or how she got in that terrible state?"

I hesitated, this was most likely going to be a hard and sad truth to swallow. "She doesn't remember," I revealed.

My cousins gasped, and the adults showed shock on their faces. "What do you mean, Camilo? What do you mean she does not recall what happened?" Abuela pressured.

I sighed, "She doesn't remember anything. She doesn't know where she's from, who her family is, she didn't even remember her name. But I sort of fixed that, because I gave her one."

"Yes, alright." Abuela pinched her nose, "But what I want to know is how-"

"Amnesia," Julieta interrupted.

We both turned to look at her, "What?"

"She has amnesia, I read about it in one of my medical books. It's a condition in which a person loses partially or all of their memory. Most times it's temporary, but there have been cases in which the patient never recovers their memory."

Everyone was looking at my aunt with an astonished look. Wait a minute, so there's a chance that Amelia will never remember who she is?! That sounds terrifying.