Chapter Nine

Athanasia

I shiver in the cold, my hood covering my ears. The snow gluing itself onto my boots as well as the edge of my dress. I grip my coat harder with each step.

It just seems to be getting colder as the days pass. I've been lucky enough to have not gone back in time these past few months. Though I still remain cautious.

I'm on my way home now. I went to visit the nearby shop to get another book. With winter upon us, the days keep getting shorter. I was too slow and now I'm walking back in the dark.

I walk as swiftly as I can, the small lantern brings in the view of the house. Oddly enough, I felt like I was being watched as I made my way to the mansion. It's been happening quite often these past months and I'm not sure what to think. If I am being watched, by who and why?

My brows go up when I see a cloaked figure at the door. Whoever it is, they seems to be hesitant about knocking on the door.

They turn their head to look at me, probably hearing the snow being crushed under my feet.

I stop a few feet away when I can see who it is.

"Feyre?" I ask wide eyed.

Acknowledging the girl who looked different that the last time I saw her. But I don't care. "Feyre!" I dash towards her, bringing her into a huge embrace. She hesitantly wraps her arms around me.

Tears run down my face as I bring warmth in the cold around us.

"You're back. Do you know how much I missed you? Never do that ever again." I pull back to get a closer look at her.

Her hair seemed shiner, like golden thread. Her face bringing in more beauty. She's gorgeous. Small tears welled up in her eyes.

"Athy?" She breathes out, a small smile on her face.

"Yes, it's me. You must be so cold. Let's get you inside, some hot tea should warm you up." I place my hand on the small of her back, leading her to the door.

"I don't think I should." She stops, looking at me.

"Nonsense. We missed you, Feyre. You have so much to catch us up on." I try to comfort her. "So let's not worry about anything else." I open the door leading her in.

"Mrs. Laurent, please prepare us some tea in the drawing room." I tell the skeptical lady.

"Athy? Mrs. Laurent?" Elain's voice echoes.

Her eyes begin to shed tears as well as she took in the sight before her.

Nesta stood near the railing of the staircase as if she saw a ghost.

*******

I sat next to Nesta, Elain on the other side of her, staring at Feyre who sat across from us.

"Where is Father?" She finally speaks.

"In Neva," Nesta said, naming one of the largest cities on the Continent. "Trading with some merchants from the other half of the world. And attending a summit about the threat above the wall. A threat I wonder if you've come back to warn us about."

Elain lifted her teacup. "Whatever the reason, Feyre, we are happy to see you. Alive. We thought you were—"

She pulled her hood back before Elain could go on.

Elain's teacup rattled in its saucer as she noticed her ears. I held my breath, stopping the tea cup from reaching my lips.

She's a faerie. Her ears sharper, hands slender.