Feeling Weak

I laid against the cold concrete ground and hugged myself tightly, curled up in a ball. Wherever I was, it was freezing, and my tank top and shorts were the worst possible clothes to be wearing. Shivering, I pushed myself to my feet, wobbling around when my balance was slightly thrown off.

Where the hell was I? There were no walls, no people, no light, just a dark void. The concrete floor extended outward into the darkness, but I could only see a few feet around me. Another cold shiver ran down my spine before I took a couple steps forward.

A high-pitched ringing erupted in my left ear before I heard faint, eerie whispers. Most of them were indecipherable, but I could make out some phrases. “You’ve lost." “They’re all gone.” “You’re next.” Footsteps grew louder behind me before someone slashed my thigh. I cried out in pain and clutched my leg, hot blood painting my fingers and palm dark red. The person disappeared into the darkness before another ran past and slammed into my shoulder, knocking me to the ground. Grunting, I hurried back to my feet and tried to take off running, collapsing from my injured leg. A dull pain immediately spread across the cut.

My chest heaved as I started to hyperventilate. From behind me, I could hear even more footsteps, this time from multiple people. “Stop,” I tried to scream, but my lungs were so shrunken from hyperventilating that I could barely get anything out.

Someone stepped into view before staring at me blankly. Even though their left arm had been torn off and replaced with a mechanical one, and their clothes were ripped to shreds, I knew the boy's face all too well. George. The whites of his eyes were gone, now glowing orange, and his left pupil was none other than the eye of the one who tormented me the most.

Everyone I traveled with, lived with, or had grown close to during the span of the infection stepped into view, trapping me in a circle. They looked just as awful as George: mangled, rebuilt, mindless, and under his control.  Doggy stood in between Zizzy’s sisters, growling. No, I thought. We stopped him

“Did you really?” I jumped and swung my head around. Standing before me was the one who caused all this madness. TIO slapped his hand against the ground next to me, making me kick myself further towards the others.

“You.” My voice shook. The ink monster cackled, towering over me.

“It’s time,” he whispered. “It’s time for you to join us.” I yelped when a sharp pain erupted from the cut on my leg, like someone twisted a knife in it. Glancing down, I noticed green blood veins spreading around the skin. I froze before my lungs started to feel like they were being crushed. A strangled scream escaped my throat as I fought against the tingly feeling that spread through my body.

My air was cut off, almost in a span of seconds. It felt like someone had reached out and grabbed down my throat before crushing my windpipe. I clawed at my neck and tried to scream again, sinking against the ground when a similar gurgling sound filled the space instead. My entire body started to experience the dull pain that started at my leg before progressively sharpening.

Everyone that stood around me started to circle in, giving me less and less space to struggle. I slammed my fist into the ground as a small puddle of tears formed a few inches from my thumb. As the infection slowly stripped me from the control over my body, everyone began to chant my name, seemingly louder each time. Jade, Jade, Jade…

“JADE!” I shot up from the bed and clawed at my throat in a panic. “Jade, stop!” Doggy grabbed my wrists, way harder than I think he intended to, and stared into my eyes. I continued to choke and struggle for air before he cupped my face with his hands. “Look at me. I need you to look at me.”

I choked out a half-cry, half-scream noise before Zizzy and Pony came rushing into the room. Zizzy sat against the corner of the bed but kept her distance. Her eyes were wide open and her lips were parted. Pony, on the other hand, leaned against the wall and grabbed his upper arms.