Breaking Point

I watched from the window of the Safe Place, my heart sinking at the hundreds of people staggering mindlessly around the streets. It was a miracle the eight of us hadn’t joined that crowd yet. Well, at least, it was a miracle they hadn’t joined them yet. I could still remember hearing that creature growl from behind before swinging its bat toward me. The veins underneath the bruise turning bright green. But I still had control. If only it were the same case for him.

A knock was heard at my door, sending a shock of panic through my body. I clutched the window frame and whipped my head around to see a tired-looking Pony peeking his head in. “Uh… sorry.” The fur on my neck stood straight up before I could render the lack of a threat. “Zizzy and I are going on a supply run, wanna come with us?”

I paused, running a hand through my bangs. “Give me a few minutes and I’ll meet you two in the lobby.” He gave me a nod before scurrying down the hallway, neglecting to shut the door. With an irritated sigh, I pushed it shut with an intentionally large amount of force. The slam made an uneasy chill shoot down my spine, but hey, I needed ways to blow off a little steam here and there.

I really didn’t need to do anything before leaving. But here and there, a few more moments of peace would keep me from blowing a fuse if any inconvenience were to pop up. I stood in front of the body mirror in the corner of my room and combed through my hair with my fingers, wincing at the knot I had just pulled at. My ponytail hung across my right shoulder and stopped just below my breast, the frayed ends spreading out and clinging to my shirt.

I took another look in the mirror and sighed. There was a new tear across the shoulder in my shirt, and dirt stains were smeared across the edge of the sleeves by my wrists. My upper arms had the smallest bulges forming; somehow after years of working out, I’d become more solid than actually seeing muscle. It amazed me that it started showing now. One quick glance down at my legs made me almost chuckle. My leggings were absolutely shredded at the knees; there was no fabric left. To tie the whole look together, giant grey bags hung from my eyes.

“Hey! Jade!” I screeched when my door was thrown open. “You coming or not?” Zizzy leaned against the doorframe with her eyes widened, seemingly annoyed. I grabbed my duty belt from the bed frame and swung it around my hips before securing the clip. Zizzy followed me down the stairs just inches behind my heels until reaching the lobby. As he saw us coming, Pony pushed away from the wall he’d been leaning against and cleared his throat.

“Pushing the ‘few minute’ mark a little bit, don’t you think?” I glared at him and turned away.

“Don’t.” It took all my strength not to throw a sarcastic comment back at him. “Now before we leave, do any of the others need anything in particular?” A swift head shake from Zizzy was my answer. I nodded and stepped outside of the building. As soon as they followed, a hand was placed on my shoulder.

“Are you okay?” Zizzy asked. “I’ve never seen you so agitated before. Everyone’s noticed.” I froze and stared at the ground before forcing out a sigh.

“Define ‘okay.’” She tilted her head before I raised mine to look her in the eyes. “I haven’t slept in days, Zizzy. With how crazy everything’s been lately, I haven’t had any time to myself.” My shoulders slumped forward. “And-and the kids have been having night terrors, and they always come to me, and-” I choked out a sob and dug my fingers into my scalp.

“Jade! Jade.” Zizzy hurried in front of me and placed her hands on my elbows. “Jade, honey, look at me.” My shoulders heaved as my cries got heavier. “Oh sweetie, I’m so sorry.” She gently moved her hands to my back and hugged me. “I had no idea you felt that way. Why didn’t you tell us?” My head dropped against her shoulder.

“I don’t know,” I mumbled. “I just wanna keep everyone safe.”

“And you have been,” she replied. “But you’re pushing yourself too much. Just remember to have a little you-time here and there, okay?” I nodded against her shoulder. "I can help with the kiddos a little more if you need, maybe talk to them about giving you some space.” I picked my head up immediately.

“Oh, no, you don’t have to do that.” I shook my head briefly. “I know they can be a little much sometimes but… well, they’re kids. I can’t even imagine how they’ve been taking all this. Besides, with how close I’ve gotten with them, I swear, they could be my kids.” I choked out a laugh, smiling when Zizzy did the same. “The point is, I love them to death. Asking them to spend less time around me makes it seem like I’m mad at them.”

She straightened her posture a bit and smiled. “I understand. I’ve seen how happy the girls have been since we found you.” I slightly nodded and glanced at the ground. Zizzy took a deep breath and tapped her sides. “Well, just know I’m here whenever you need help. Even if you just wanna talk.” I smiled tiredly and tucked a stray piece of hair behind my ear. “Are you sure you wanna come today? I can take care of us while we’re out.”

I chuckled. “Oh, I know you can handle yourself. But…” I glanced at Pony before she turned to see him too. He was kicking rocks around the pavement and paid no attention to us. When Zizzy turned back to me, we both burst out laughing. She threw her arm around my shoulders and called to Pony before we headed towards the gate.

Heyyy, been a hot second. I do apologize, with school coming to an end I've been focusing on simply passing my ding-dang classes. Kinda need that diploma 😅

Anyways, I'm hoping to pick up the pace a bit in the next month, I've got a writing class! Yay me!

Stay tuned! Laterrrrr
--GreenBean