Stargazing

Short chapter today, I threw this together in like a day or two.

“Look at that one.” I pointed my finger to the sky at a constellation that resembled a bird, watching Doggy’s face light up with amazement. For the first time in nearly two months, the sky wasn’t hidden from the city.

It was a perfect night. Not a single cloud, chilly but not windy, and quiet. To make it even more perfect, it was Doggy and I’s three-month anniversary. I stretched my legs underneath the blanket we were under and laughed when my foot accidentally hit Doggy’s ankle. He flipped on his side and scooped me into his arms before nuzzling my shoulder, both of us giggling uncontrollably.

After settling down, I shuffled around so I was facing him. I slid both arms around his waist and stared at the sky before feeling him hugging tightly around my shoulders. With my head against his chest, I listened to the gentle thump, thump of his heartbeat and closed my eyes.

“Jade,” he whispered, moving his hand from my back. “Look.” I shifted my gaze to where he was pointing to and gasped. A shooting star rapidly soared through the night sky and disappeared at the horizon. Doggy was never big on making wishes when they appeared, but I’d make one every time. No matter how old we got, I couldn't keep myself from believing in wishing stars.

I wish we could have more nights like this, I thought, sitting up. In a few seconds, Doggy had wrapped the blanket around both of our shoulders and pulled me to his chest. I glanced up before he rested his chin against my forehead, making us both burst out in laughter. He ran a hand through my bangs before placing it against my cheek, gently swiping his pointer finger across the side of my forehead.

Doggy kept his hand against my cheek and refused to break eye contact with me, the smallest hint of a smile on his face. Neither of us said anything for a while, but his smile started to drop into an almost scared expression. He glanced at the ground and off to the side before he leaned forward, connecting his lips with mine.

The initial shock caused me to freeze. My eyes were wide open and I held my hand just barely above the ground before everything started settling in. My best friend, the person I’ve known for almost 18 years now, was kissing me. I slowly raised my hand and rested it against his shoulder as my eyes fluttered shut.

The kiss couldn’t have lasted longer than a couple seconds, but I swear it felt like an eternity. Doggy slowly pulled away and nervously cleared his throat before staring at the ground. I sat still again, a stupid smile creeping up on my face. It was almost impossible to keep myself from giggling like a middle schooler around their crush.

“What made you do that?” I asked, sliding my hand under his.

“Well, I…” he stuttered, “I don’t really know. Sorry.”

A giggle forced its way from my throat. “Why are you apologizing?” His ears perked up before he picked up his head, looking both surprised and relieved at the same time. I slid my hand to his neck and pulled him back towards me and closed my eyes.

Hands slid around my torso almost immediately. This one lasted a little longer than the first, but it felt just as exciting. He pulled away again and immediately smiled before shielding his face. I burst out laughing and scooted closer so I was against his chest again.

We sat with the blanket across our shoulders for another hour or so, pointing out new constellations that we spotted. I was able to find a seal, a lion and a bear, but Doggy found way more than me. I'd find more than him one night, I knew I could. There'd be more nights like this.

Like I said before, I believe in wishing stars. And if you wish hard enough, your dreams are sure to come true.

HOPELESS ROMANTIC ON BOARD WEE WOO WEE WOO
Ngl writing this made me want to start giggling and kicking my feet lmao
Enjoy the fluff, you deserve it after the main story
--GreenBean