two

Jenos week starts with his dad dying. It doesnt get better from there. He gets the call at three a.m. on Sunday. His first coherent thought of the day is, Oh God, I hope Chenle didnt finally snap and kill the man. Their mom is who calls, as distant and robotic but polite as always, starting the call by asking how Jenos day is going.

MomIts three a.m. I was asleep, he groggily explains.

His mom hums in confusion. Asleep in the morning? She questions and then moves on before Jeno can respond. Im afraid I have bad news sweetie. Your father has passed away. Her tone is still light and airy as though she isnt delivering life-changing news to her son.

Jenos world ends for a moment.

Jenos dad, even now that Jeno is almost an adult who doesnt even live with him, has more control over Jenos life than he should. Hed made him into the leader against Jenos will, always blaming his siblings' failures on him, and pitting his children against each other from a young age.

His father treated Jeno like a semi-successful science experiment. Jeno wasnt like Jaemin or Renjun who would buck up against their dad in argument, but he wasnt like Mark who would destroy himself for their father either.

Jeno was just Jeno. Not the best soldier but a good one. Not the best leader but a protective one. Not the best brother but a loving one.

He comes back to himself to his mothers gentle voice in his ear. Jeno-ah, are you still there? He swallows painfully. The man who ruined his life is dead. His father is dead.

Yeah Mom; Im here. What happened? His mom pauses and hums a little.

What happened with what, dear? Jeno winces. Their mother has seemed like her hardware is degrading for a few years now, but Jeno does not live with her and hasnt in years. Its easy to ignore when its not in his face. Listening to her fail to have a conversation makes him note to bring it up to Jaemin.

What happened to Dad? His tone is more patient than he really feels.

Oh, your fatherhe had a heart attack. He passed in his sleep about an hour ago. Im calling you because he wanted you to come back and deal with his funeral. Jeno takes a moment to silently cuss his dad out in his head and be thankful Chenle hadnt committed murder.

Okay, Mom. Ill be over in about an hour after I get Jaemin and Donghyuck up. How are Chenle and Jisung holding up? He truthfully cares much more about how his brothers are feeling than he does that his dad is dead.

Holding up with what? Jeno inhales for four counts and exhales for five. Mark had taught him the trick after hed bitten his tongue so bad hed made it bleed trying to ignore Donghyuck and Jaemin fighting for the nth time as kids.

How are Chenle and Jisung doing with Dads death? His voice is notably more strained than it was a few minutes ago, but his mom doesnt notice.

Oh, they dont know yet. Im not sure where they areYour father wanted you to inform them as the leader. Jeno fervently hopes his brothers are both still asleep, and then finally thanks his mom and hangs up. He takes a moment to get himself together before going to his brothers. His hands are shaking. He tries to ignore it.

He decides to wake up Jaemin first. He opens his brothers door and blinks at the mess. His brothers closet seems to have exploded on his bedroom floor. Jeno hesitantly steps over the piles of Jaemins close and sighs as he gets a good look at his brother.

There are bags under Jaemins eyes, and hed fallen asleep with his phone in his hand. Hed had a late shift at the gas station and only gotten home around two hours ago. Jeno really hates having to wake him up, but it cant be helped.