three

Jaemin spends his morning tending to his brothers. Its what he does. As kids The Rumors power was always best suited for offense. Jaemins job was to stop people when they got too close to his brothers, and it bled into every aspect of Jaemins life.

Always treat Marks injuries because his eldest brother would bleed himself dry for their father. Always feed Renjun because his scattered molecules and exhausted body after spatial jumping for hours on end burned through calories faster than the boy could handle. Always support Jenos plans, even the ones doomed to fail, while thinking of backup options so his brother didnt crumble.

Always hug Donghyuck, tight and warm and alive, so the boy wouldnt feel lost to the cold embrace of the ghosts who haunt him. Always comfort Chenle after he and their dad had another fight. Always go to every one of Jisungs dance showcases because their dad wouldnt.

Jaemin doesnt know who he is if hes not caring for his brothers. When they get back from the crematorium, his fathers ashes held gently in Jenos hands even though Jaemin knows he could shatter the urn without breaking a sweat, Jaemin starts cooking lunch. He goes for something light and easy that all the brothers can stomach and makes ramen.

Jeno winces as he does it, but Jaemin pretends not to notice. Well have the funeral after lunch, okay? He says casually. Jeno sighs but nods. Jaemin sees the spoon hed laid against the side of the pot start moving on his own and feels his heart twinge a little. Thank you, hyung, he murmurs respectfully. He misses his brother so much it hurts. Instead of dealing with that he grabs a pan to start frying vegetables.

Their lunch is simple and easy to prepare so its done in less than thirty minutes as Jaemin hollers for his brothers to get their asses downstairs to eat. Jeno winces when hes done. I wouldve gone and got them, his brother says, pained. Jaemin ignores him.

Donghyuck gets to the table first much more sober than he was earlier and noticeably more jumpy. How are you, Hyuck? Jaemin asks as he spoons a large portion of rice and vegetables into his brothers bowl. Donghyucks eyes track something behind Jaemins back for a long moment.

He gulps when he responds, Im fine, even though Jaemin can see how badly hes shaking. Jeno frowns and hugs him around the shoulders in both comfort and forgiveness for the slight against him earlier. Donghyuck droops bonelessly against their leaders shoulder. Jaemin hands Jeno his bowl as they share worried looks above Donghyucks head.

Theyre unable to say anything when Jisung walks into the kitchen. Hes wearing the sweats he usually wears to dance in, and hes slightly out of breath. Feel better Jisungie? Jaemin checks. Dance has always been how Jisung regulated his emotions from the moment any of them could remember.

Being in a family where everyone was extraordinary, and you were not was exhausting. Mark had spent a while begging their dad to allow Jisung to train with them in hand-to-hand combat. Their dad had refused every time. Mark, barely five years old and missing two front teeth, had gotten the maddest Jaemin had ever seen him. Hed pitched a fit, wailing about the unfairness and begging their dad to stop excluding their brother, all the while sobbing about the unfairness of it all.

Jaemin hadnt seen him for a solid week afterward. Mark had come back quiet and withdrawn so pale Donghyuck had screamed because he thought he was dead. Hed never gone against their dad again. Hed never told them what had happened no matter how much Donghyuck tried to annoy it out of him.

Instead one night before curfew Mark had gone into their massive library and searched for good activities to pass the time. Hed shown the book to the other kids the next day during a break in training Jaemin remembers. He can picture himself, chubby hands pointing at the camera in the picture in excitement, as Mark tells them about the different things people did to pass the time.