Dᵤcₖₛ

We were at the ice rink. All of us kneeling in a circle facing coach. He had a trash can by his side. "All right, I've been doing my homework on varsity, I'm not going to lie. They are good. They wiped your faces in the dirt last time. So, if you want your pride back, you better be willing to work." Coach looked at us all.

    "There's nothing more glamorous about it, in the pro's we call it blue collar hockey. Now, there's one thing varsity does very well. They're vultures around the net, they pick up every loose piece of trash. So if you want to win," he dumps the trash can out. "Pick up the trash."

    Averman got a piece of bagel. "Got any cream cheese?" Coach put all the trash outside the goal and we had to use our hockey sticks to put it away.

    When we were done, coach blew his whistle. "Let's go! Over here, grab a knee!" Coach yelled. 

    "What did Aruna do this time?" Adam joked.

    "Fight me." I joked back and pushed him slightly. 

    "I'm better than you. I can't do that." "How so?" "In hockey."

    "We both know I'm better, cake eater." I lied. In my opinion, Adam's better, but I won't admit that.

    "No, I'm the better hockey cousin." 

    "Guy, bubs, come here. Who's better at hockey? Me or him?" Guy skated over to us.

    "Sorry, Adam, but Aruna's better. By speed, agility, she doesn't fall as easily... Want to hear more?" Guy smiled at Adam and I. I gave him a side hug for his reasons why I'm the better player.

    "You only say that cause you guys are best friends. We are going to settle this, Amorá." Adam joked.

    "Go ahead, cake eater." We laughed and went over to Coach.

    "You guys aren't playing like warriors!" Coach signed. 

    "Honestly, I ain't even wanna be-" Coach looked at me and I shut my mouth. 

    "You look like something else," He paused and grabbed a jersey from a box. It's our Duck jerseys. "You look like Ducks." We cheered and put on our jerseys. We began to quack and practice ended.

    I hung out with Guy and Averman at this diner downtown.

    We got in and sat in a booth in the corner. Guy and myself on one side, Averman on the other. "Hi, Mrs. Conway!" Averman greeted our waitress. I didn't know Charlie's mom worked here. "Yeah, we'll have a plate of fries and two milkshakes. One vanilla, one strawberry, both large." She nodded and wrote it down. "That'll be all, thank you."

    "There's three of us, why'd you only order two milkshakes?" Guy asked, looking at Averman.

    "Ya, why?" I add on, also looking to him.

    "It's fine, I know what I'm doing." He gave Guy a wink. "You both like strawberry and I'll get two straws."

    I stared for a moment before realizing. "Averman!" I reach over and smack his head slightly. Guy still looked confused. I turned to him, "He's makin' us share a shake." Guy finally realized and looked away, a blush on his cheeks.

    The order came and Averman smirked the entire time Guy and I would drink our shake. I would flip him off occasionally as I drank.

    We began to eat our fries and talk. It felt nice, until Mrs. Conway said we had to leave for disturbing the peace. We weren't even that loud, but whatever.

    They ended up showing me around town and before we all knew it, it became night and the boys had to leave. Averman left before Guy, claiming his dad wanted him home before dark. He winked to Guy when he said that though, so I figured he lied. Wonder why.

    "I should get back to the dorms." I tell Guy as we just turned a corner. "Julie will be wonderin' where I'm at." Guy looked down and nodded.

    "Here, I'll walk you back." Guy offered and I didn't protest. We haven't hung out one on one in a while, so this was nice. Guy was making small talk as we walked.

    "Damn, Minnesota do be cold in fall." I rub my hands on my arms. I was wearing a short sleeved shirt and it was really cold.

    "Oh, you're cold?" Guy looked concerned as he asked. "Here, take my jacket." He took of his jacket and wrapped it around me. I tried to protest, but he insisted, saying how it's no big deal and he has others at home.

    So, I accepted it and we got to the school gate. "See ya tomorrow." I hug him goodbye and walk inside the school, making my way to the dorms. When I got there, Julie was reading a book on her bed.

    She looked up when I opened the door. "Oh, hey. Who's jacket is that?" I tell her it's Guy's. "WHAT! Are you guys together now?"

    I laugh and sling the jacket over the back of my chair. "I got cold and he let me wear it. We ain't together." Julie gave me smirk.

    "Not yet."

    "Not ever." I add and slumped on my bed. I didn't quite believe myself when I said that. Like yeah, I liked Guy back at the Goodwill Games, not anymore. I think...

    I decide to not over think it and changed before heading to bed. Julie got up and turned off the lights, getting in her bed. "We both no not yet." Julie whispered.

    "Go to sleep, Gaffney."