Prologue: Leighton

I opened my eyes and found myself standing on a moving ship in pitch darkness, with my wrists tied together and no past I could remember.

I also discovered I was leaning against someone—someone a little taller than me, who had his head pressed against mine hard, but didn't have his arms around me. I assumed his hands were tied as well.

"Don't look," the boy hissed into my ear, at a volume I could barely hear over the waves hitting the side of the ship. "Whatever you do, Leigh, don't look."

Leigh. That was good. I had a name, at least.

And someone was starting to scream it at the top of their lungs.

"Leigh!" It was a younger boy's voice, maybe belonging to a nine or ten-year-old, and I glanced in the direction it was coming from, waiting for my eyes to adjust.

"Damian, Leighton! Help—" The screaming was muffled suddenly, and my eyes finally got used to the darkness, revealing a with tangled black hair and a wild look in his eyes being held back by a pair of rough-looking men, one of whom had a hand over the boy's mouth.

"Leighton," the older boy, who I assumed was Damian, said sharply. "Don't look."

I reluctantly closed my eyes, instantly hearing a louder shriek from the younger, which was cut short and followed by a gasp.

"Bennett—" The older boy suppressed a sob and stepped away, leaving me stumbling and trying not to fall over on the rocking deck.

What was happening? And who were these boys who knew my name?

I opened my eyes again and saw Damian leaning against the younger boy, crying and repeating 'Bennett' over and over.

I jumped as a hand gripped my shoulder tightly, dragging me toward the railing of the ship.

"Leighton!" Damian shouted, probably running toward me if the sound of footsteps could be trusted; they soon stopped with an 'oof' sound, and my heart sank. There would be no rescue for me.

I looked forward again, and my eyes widened—we were right in front of the railing.

Bennett, the younger boy, was soon standing next to me with another man's hand on his shoulder, staring up at me with visible fear in his eyes.

I wanted to give him a hug, especially knowing what was bound to happen to us.

Damian soon joined us against the railing, staring down at Bennett and I. "I...I'm sorry," he whispered.

"Throw them in." This was a new, female voice from behind us. I hadn't seen a woman, but I guessed it didn't matter now.

The hands didn't hesitate, and I soon found myself plummetting off the side of the ship, screaming until I hit the water with a crash and aching pain everywhere.

My eyes stung, and I closed them, kicking desperately to get to the surface. I couldn't hear anything, couldn't feel, and I opened my eyes but I couldn't see anymore...

I opened my mouth to scream, to breathe, to do anything, and instantly snapped it shut again as water flooded my lungs.

I winced; I had bit my tongue, and I could taste blood...it was strange how much I liked it in that moment...

The pain started to go numb, and I let my eyes close as I drifted into nothingness.