Chapter 6: Alek

Why did I say that to her? I can't even fathom why I would even think something like that. It plays over and over in my head like a horrible movie as I lean against the ambulance. She asked me how Dixie was after being gone for a while after the accident. I told her she was fine. I could feel myself getting angry. She was there too. Why didn't she do anything to stop her? I looked away before blurting out the dumbest sentence ever, "What were you thinking letting her get on a bull? Why didn't you do something?" She just walked away and of course I had to say something after her. "Walk away like the coward you are." She swirls around and you could see the anger rolling across her face like thunder as she storms toward me. "Oh no, we are not doing this. I tried to tell her it was a bad idea to ride a bull but she didn't listen. After she signed up, I asked them to give her an easy bull. Then when he went after her, I pulled her over the fence. You want to know what I get for it? Not only you being a jerk but this!" She pulls her shirt to her ribs which are black and blue. "But I didn't do enough, did I? Text me when you plan on getting your truck." I didn't have anything to say to that.

What were you thinking letting her get on a bull?

I tried to tell her it was a bad idea to ride a bull but she didn't listen. After she signed up, I asked them to give her an easy bull.

Why didn't you do something?

Then when he went after her, I pulled her over the fence.

She had bruised ribs and I was being a jerk. What if she was seriously hurt? I should have remained calm. I should say something to her. Dang it! She just pulled out of the rodeo grounds and I could see the disappointment as she looked at me briefly in her rearview mirror. I sigh in regret. Luckily Dixie's brother is in with her because I really don't feel like going back to that ambulance. I go to find her friends Chief and J.B. I spot Chief before I find J.B. "Could you give me a ride? I messed up and said the wrong things so now Amry is mad at me." He nods, "Where to? I would not advise you to go to Amry's. She will be beyond mad at you and it would not be safe for you." I shrug and give him my address. The trip goes by quickly and he drives off but not before speaking, "Whatever you said to Amry, give her time to cool down and tell her you are sorry for what you said." He pulls away before I can respond.