Prologue

Inside of a small suburban house, Mary Winchester carries her son Dean into a nursery with two cribs in it. "Come on, let's say good night to your brother and sister." Mary turns on the lights, it's the nursery of a baby Sam, who is exactly six months old, and Jaylin, who is only a week old, lying in their cribs. Mary sets Dean down and he leans over and kisses his baby siblings goodnight on the forehead. "Night Sam, night Jay." Mary does the same, whispering goodnight to her little angel.

"Hey Dean."

Dean turns around. John Winchester stands in the doorway and Dean rushes over to him. "Daddy!" "Hey bud." John scoops up his four year old son. "Whatdaya think? Sam ready to toss around a football yet? And is Jay set to help her mom in the kitchen?" Dean shakes his head laughing. "No Daddy, not yet, but why can't Jay play football too?" John just laughs. 

"You got him?" Mary asks as she passes the two boys on her way out. "I got him." He replies, hugging his eldest son. "Sweet dreams kiddos." John says as he makes his way out of the room, with the barest hints of suspicion clouding his eyes as they trace the sleeping form of little Jaylin, flipping off the lights as he goes. Sam watches, gurgling, then tries to reach his toes.

Soon after they left, the baseball-themed mobile above Sam's crib and the angel themed mobile above Jaylin's begins to spin on their own while Sam watches.

In the master bedroom, Mary wakes up to strange noises coming though the baby monitor, and goes to flick on the nightstand light. "John?" She asks, turning after she gets no response to herself in bed alone.

Mary gets up and walks down the hall to the nursery, where she sees a silhouette standing over Sam's crib. "John? Is he hungry?" John turns his head. "Shhh." "Alright." Mary shrugs and walks back down the hall. She notices that the light by the stairs is flickering. "Hmm." She taps it until it steadies.

More flickering light is coming from downstairs so she goes to investigate, and finds John there, asleep with a war movie on the TV. It hits her that it isn't her husband in her babies' room, which means they're a threat.

"Sammy! Jay!"

She bursts into the nursery and stops short.

John wakes up downstairs to Mary's scream. "Mary!" He shouts as he runs up the stairs. He bursts into the nursery, screaming her name, only to find... no one. The room is quiet except for Sam and Jay awake in their cribs. He walks over to his sons crib, glancing at Jay's, as if she had done something to his wife. "Hey, Sammy. You okay?" Suddenly, something dark drips next to Sam. John touches it and two more drops fall on to his hand. In the light, it looks like fresh blood. He looks up, and sees Mary sprawled across the ceiling, the stomach of her nightgown red with blood, staring at him and struggling to breathe. He collapses onto the floor, staring at her.

"Mary, no!"

Without warning, she bursts into flames. The fire spreads all over the ceiling. John stares, frozen, but is snapped out of it when Sam begins to wail. He scoops him up, and after a moments hesitation, scoops Jay up as well.

Dean comes running through the hall to investigate after waking up from the screams. "Daddy!" John shoves his siblings into Deans arms. "Take your siblings outside as fast as you can and don't look back! Now, Dean, go!"

Dean turns to follow his fathers orders, while John turns back to the nursery. Mary can barely be seen any more. "Mary, no." He says, heartbreak echoing in his voice.

Outside, Dean just made it out. "It's okay Sammy, Jaybird." He looks back at the window, which looks like gold, and sees his father run outside. He scoops the three of them up and runs further away. "I gotcha." Fire then explodes from the nursery window.

Later on the Lawrence fire department has arrived. Firefighters get out and start putting out the fire. They call out to each other in the background, but John is in a daze.

More firetrucks arrive, as does an ambulance, and a police officer is keeping the neighbours back.

John on the other hand is sitting on the hood of his 1967 Chevy impala next to Dean holding Sam. He stares at the remnants of the house, which are now just smoulders. He then glares at Jay, resting peacefully in Deans arms, as if she was at fault for all of this. His mind made up. Something took his wife, and that something was there because of Jaylin Eve Winchester.