Chapter 10

"Shit, we can't get a doctor," Ethan said upon seeing her chest.

"What? Why the fuck not?" I asked him.

He didn't respond but hoisted Cassie in his arms. "We need to get her back to the ranch, and you need to call the vet."

"The vet? What is the fucking vet going to do, she's gonna die if she doesn't get to the hospital!"

"And if she does, she might get thrown in jail Ryan."

I took Cassie from him, put her in my saddle, and mounted behind her. "I'd rather her that than dead."

I held onto her as her limp body sagged forward. I didn't let myself think about what Ethan said, or the brand on her chest.

Nothing was going through my head except getting her into a hospital, and wondering what she was going to say to me before that damn snake spooked the horse.

But she was running out of time. The longer it took to get her to a doctor, the more the venom would spread through her. She had a few hours, maybe.

I came up to the ranch and saw Rip riding out to me.

"What the fuck happened, Ryan?"

"Rattlesnake," I said quickly.

Rip dismounted his horse and helped me get Cassie down. He began leading her into the bunkhouse-

I followed after him and seethed. "Don't you fucking dare, Rip. She needs a doctor not some fucking vet."

"She can't go to a hospital."

"Well, she can't die here Rip," I said and stood before his path.

Rip looked down at Cassie in his arms, then nodded. "Call 911."

I nodded and followed him as he went to his truck.

"Lloyd, get the fuck over here!" Rip yelled.

"What happened?" He yelled as he ran up to us quickly.

"We're taking Cassie to the hospital."

I saw Lloyd glance at me, then look at Rip.

"We're taking her Lloyd. Ryan, sit with her in the back."

Lloyd got in the passenger seat and I held Cassie in my arms in the back. Rip drove out of the ranch like a madman.

I looked down at Cassie as I called 911. She stirred slightly, and I tried to hold back a sob of relief. I threw my phone down and wrapped my arms around her as her head leaned on my shoulder.

"Rip, they're sending a helicopter to meet us but it won't reach us for over an hour."

The only answer Rip gave me was pressing on the gas harder.