Chapter 13

It had been two days since I got back from the hospital, but despite Ryan's insistence that I rest, I worked from dawn till dusk.

But now I rested, as I sat in the bunkhouse with the rest of the wranglers and played poker.

"Alright, Texas Hold 'em," Jake said as he dealt the cards.

I was confident that I would beat all their asses and walk away with all their money, as I was notorious for playing it safe and only betting when I had a good hand. But because I was notorious for that, I could occasionally bluff my way into taking the whole table with a pair of twos.

But that wasn't this round. "I fold," I said and laid my cards on the table.

After two hours, it was only Colby, Ryan, and I.

I had won a few rounds with good hands, but nothing amazing to secure me Ryan and Colby's money.

Ethan had taken up as full-time dealer and dealt out the cards.

I looked at my hand. Pocket kings.

I kept my face straight as I stared at Colby and Ryan.

"Stop staring at me, Cassandra." Colby squirmed as he tried to keep his poker face.

I smiled and looked at the cards Ethan laid face up on the table. Out of the first three, there was a king, an ace, and an eight.

Bets went around twice, and Ethan finally laid the last card after another ace.

Another King.

"Alright, show us what you got," Ethan said.

Colby laid down his hand with a sigh. Everyone laughed as he did so.

"Are you kidding me?" Ryan picked up his cards and waved them around. "Colby went all in on a fucking pair of twos!"

"I know, I know!" Colby held up his hands, stood from the table, and pushed his winnings towards us.

"Alright, Cassie, what do you have?"

I looked at Ryan, at the cards lying on the table, then at my hand.

I set the cards down with confidence and said, "Four of a kind, kings."

The wranglers oo'd as they watched us, abandoning the football game for a few moments.

Ryan nodded and looked at his cards.

"Well, Cassie," He said and laid down his cards. "I would like that pile of money in front of you, please."

"Shit," I said as I saw his cards.

Pocket aces. Which meant he had four of a kind and just barely beat me. Four of a kind anything was nearly impossible. But for us to both have it and he beat me just barely? 

The wranglers cheered and I shook my head with a smile. "Come on, I've only lost a hand!" I yelled over the noise.

"Oh, whatever!"

"Colby shut up and get me a beer."

"Yes ma'am."

I opened the bottle and took a long sip. "You better be ready, Ryan."

He smiled as Ethan dealt another round. "Oh, I am."

And ready he was.

He beat me in another two hands right after each other.

"Alright, give me a good one, Ethan," I said as he laid the cards in front of me. I had a ten and a jack.

It went as I hoped. There was a nine, a jack, two queens, and a king on the table, meaning I had a flush. A decent hand, and likely that it would beat Ryan.

"You can go first," Ryan winked at me.

I rolled my eyes and sipped my beer. I raised a brow as I looked at my cards, then up at him. "Are you sure?"

He nodded.

"Alright..." I laid them down face up.

"Oh shit!"

"Sorry, man," Colby slapped a hand on Ryan's shoulder.

"What are you sorry for?" Ryan asked, then laid down his cards.

The whole room went silent.

He had an ace and a ten of the same suit. And it matched the suit of the jack, queen, and king on the table.

The room exploded with cheers as they realized who had clearly won.

I shook my head and stared at the cards. "How the hell did I miss that?" 

Ryan stood and swept all the money towards him. "It's okay, Cassie, I'll take you out with this money, yeah?"

I looked up at him, shaking my head. He looked at me in confusion as he saw my look, and I stood quickly. "I need some air," I said and walked out of the bunkhouse.

I went onto the porch and leaned my elbows on the railing. The stars were covered by a blanket of clouds.

I heard the door open and knew it was Ryan by just the sound of his steps.

"I'll give you back your money," He said and leaned on the railing next to me.

I shook my head. "I'm not a sore loser, Ryan. You beat me fair and square."

"Then what are you upset about?"

I looked up at him and turned to lean my back against the railing as he looked over the ranch. "I don't want you to think we're starting something," I said quietly.

He stood and faced me, his eyes wide. "Cassie, what do you mean? You-"

"You're not losin' me, Ryan. You're just not havin' me either."

He nodded and looked down, then without looking at me again, went inside the bunkhouse and shut the door quietly behind him.

I collapsed in the rocking chair next to me, and let my head drop into my hands. 

I should never have come back here, I was a stupid fucking fool for thinking I could do this-

I looked up as I heard footsteps approaching the bunkhouse.

"We need you, Cassie," Rip said.

And I sighed and followed after him.

_____

Rip, Lloyd, Jimmy, and I stood before a new cowboy. We were outside around a fire pit, and the brand was heating in the flames.

"Guess this shit wasn't no rumor, huh?" The cowboy, he said his name was Walker, asked.

"No. No rumor."

He nodded, then got on his knees. "Where does it go?"

Lloyd pointed above his heart. "Right here."

"That's a hell of a price to pay for a job that only pays 400 a week."

"It ain't about the money, Walker," Rip said as he took the brand out of the fire. "It's about trust."

Walker raised a brow. "Trust, huh?"

"That's right."

"And all the boys have it?" He looked at me. "Do you have it?"

I nodded. "Just us."

"Just the criminals," Lloyd finished.

"What if I don't?"

Rip scoffed. "Then Jim here will run you into town and leave you there. It's not a 'have-to', Walker. It's a choice. And it's all yours."

"Don't think of it as a brand," Lloyd said as he sat on a log near the fire. "Think of it as tenure."

"Fuck it," Walker said as he put a stick in his mouth as a bit.

Rip nodded, then pressed the hot metal onto Walker's chest, branding him for life, never to be taken back. Walker struggled but held his ground as Rip finally took it away.

"Welcome home," Rip said. "Welcome to the Yellowstone."