Chapter 46: Mid to Late May 1925

A/N: Thank you to everyone who has voted on chapters, commented and added this story to their reading lists.

TW: Blood

——

Emma had gone out with Tom and Mary on their morning walk for a brief while, to get some of her weekly exercise in before retreating to the house and letting them carry on. Tom's decided that they should do more with the repair shop, and put it at the edge of the estate for passing trade. Emma decided to leave them to it.

Once inside the Outer Hall, Emma turns to enter the Library through the Small Library and when she's at the entrance when she hears Robert and, more importantly, Violet talking.

"And I want him to come here. I want him to listen to our arguments against the York Hospital's plans." Violet is saying.

Emma freezes in her steps. God, what's Violet got planned now?

"Mama, what is the point?" Robert huffs.

"Don't be jejune. You know very well, one word from Westminster and the scheme would be abandoned." Violet retorts.

Not on Emma's watch, nor Isobel's, Cora's or Lord Merton's.

"But why would he say the word, and why would he ever come to Downton?"

"You know, Neville Chamberlain's wife was born Anne de Vere Cole. Guess who was her godfather."

Neville Chamberlain?!

"You guess for me." Robert huffs.

"Your late papa, the sixth Earl of Grantham." Violet explains. "He and her father served in the Crimea together when they were young. I have known her since she was born."

This woman has far too many cards up her sleeve.

"I admit I am quite interested, but when it comes to getting him here, I would say you have no more chance than a cat in hell without claws."

"We'll see."

Emma can easily imagine the smug look the Dowager's face and the resigned one on Robert's.

——

Emma sits in the Drawing room with Mary, Robert, Edith, Cora and Tom for lunch. Billy is at work.

"I nearly forgot. That chap, Henry..." Robert is saying to Mary.

"Talbot?" Mary prompts.

Robert nods. "Exactly. Yes, he telephoned while you were out. He's going to be in Yorkshire on Wednesday to look at a car, and he wants you to watch him doing it."

He what now?

"To watch him looking at a car?" Mary asks with a frown. She doesn't seem that interested.

"Well, not quite. He's driving it round some track nearby. At Catterick." Robert explains though he seems to not get it himself.

"Testing it. Seeing how it handles." Tom further explains. "I could take you, if you like."

"Would you?" Mary questions.

"Well, I'd like to see it." Tom says eagerly, which causes Emma to smile at his excitement. Her husband turns to Edith. "How about you?"

"I'll be in London on Wednesday." Edith says.

"Edith has a date." Robert grins.

Emma perks up. "She what?" She asks eagerly.

"No, I don't." Edith placates.

Emma pouts.

"Of course not." Mary comments.