Chapter 50: September to December 1925

A/N: Chapter 50!! 🎉🎉🎉

——

Ivy, George, Sybbie, Michael, Marigold and Teo are running along through the grounds of Downton. Emma watches blissfully as she pushes along Patrick, who's nearing 3 months old now, in his pram along with everyone else as they all take a walk together.

Emma and Tom walk by each other, taking turns pushing their son. Edith, Cora, Isobel, Tom, Henry and Mary, the latter two arm in arm and with Mary carrying a parasol, walk along by them as Robert, Billy and the nannies, Jean and Margaret, follow after the children who play Pooh sticks when they reach a bridge.

A moment later, Robert and Billy have rejoined the other adults as they continue their walk. The nannies and children are still running around in the background.

"Put Marigold into a school in London?" Robert questions in disbelief in response to Edith's announcement.

"People do send girls to school, you know. Nowadays it isn't all governesses teaching quadrilles." Edith retorts.

"Exactly, she'll have a better chance to do what she desires in life." Emma adds, agreeing.

"Does she have any relations who ought to be kept informed?" Isobel innocently asks.

"None that we're aware of." Robert replies, exchanging a look with Cora.

Christ. Isobel is actually the only one that doesn't know? Wait, actually, Henry probably doesn't know either.

"You'd live in London for term time?" Cora asks Edith.

"I think so. The magazine's going better than ever, and I enjoy working with Miss Edmunds."

"'A life change for Lady Edith Crawley is announced as the family take a morning stroll'." Tom remarks, dissipating the tension simmering in the background as they all laugh.

"I think it's a good idea. Meet new people, get around a bit." Henry says.

"I just think it's a bit hasty," Robert complains. Of course, you would say that.

"Hasty? I think I've been about as hasty as a glacier." Edith retorts.

"And you'd be happy to live alone?"

"I'll have Marigold." Edith says, her tone becoming a somewhat harsher tone than before. "Anyway, I'm a spinster, aren't I? And spinsters live alone."

Emma and Tom exchange a look this time.

"Well, er, Mary, any further plans for George's birthday?" Billy asks.

With how awkward the conversation had gotten, Mary is all too happy to fall into this new topic while Isobel eagerly pipes up now and again with excitement over her grandson turning four.

A little later, they have all sat down at a garden table and on deck chairs prepared for them near the water's edge, attended by Mr Molesley, Thomas – back on duty – and Andy. Tom, Edith and Cora are in deck chairs together, with Mary standing by them. Emma also sits with them, gently rocking Patrick's pram as the baby snoozes. Isobel and Robert sit at their own table, chatting. Thomas pours red wine for them - straight from the bottle, not from a decanter. Mr Carson's standards are indeed slipping!

A little further off, on the low stone railing of the bridge, Henry sits alone, smoking a cigarette, looking thoughtful and not quite happy. Mary walks up to her solitary husband. Emma watches as they talk quietly Mary puts a comforting hand on his shoulder.

——

To continue taking advantage of the last moments of the summer, they all gather outside for pre-dinner drinks in the garden. Billy, Robert, Tom and Henry, are in black tie and Emma and Cora are dressed for dinner in their gowns though Emma keeps hers a simpler style. Robert has Teo on his lap, playing with the puppy. Henry is employing a cocktail shaker, pouring some into the cocktail glasses lined up on the table. Emma watches as he makes the cocktails eagerly, siping one herself. In the future, her brother had worked for a bit in a bar, making cocktails and he'd sometimes made some at home for the family. She smiles sadly as she thinks of how much her mom had enjoyed her piña coladas.