5

Skylar

The past month and a half has been nothing but calming and carefree. After wrapping up the shows in NYC, I made it my priority to spend the majority of my free time with the girls. When they aren't with me, they're either with their dad or both sets of grandparents. 

With Thanksgiving break for the girls beginning today, there was a festival for the second half of the school day. Parents were invited to come out and celebrate with their kids and take a look around their classrooms.

Maverick and I made our way towards Blayke's classroom first and found her sitting at her table, creating a pink and purple turkey. 

    "Hi, my love," I greeted her, picking her up and kissing her cheek. Mav followed close behind, leaning down to kiss her forehead.

    "Can we see what you were working on?" Maverick questioned as we made our way to Blayke's seat.

    "We made a turkey, and I named her apple."

    "Apple?" I couldn't help but smile. Only my dorky kid.

    "Yep, I had apples for a snack." She looked past us and pointed to a small table with different fruits, cheeses, meats, and crackers scattered across it.

    "Apple was definitely the best name choice, princess," Maverick chuckled, taking Blayke from my arms as we headed up to her teacher. 

After talking with Blayke's teacher and grabbing her things, we made our way to see Luca. She was coloring when we walked through the door, and she instantly ran to her sister when she caught a glimpse of us.

We chose to separate the girls into different classes to give them more independence. As identical twins, they already had to share pretty much everything else, especially a face, so we wanted them to have the chance to make their own friends and be their own independent people without being boxed together all the time. As much as they fight and argue at home, it's always heartwarming to see them miss each other after being apart for hours at a time.

Luca quickly grabbed her drawing and placed it in her folder, not wanting us to see it just yet. The action only made me want to see it even more, but I knew she would show us when she was ready.

Once we left the girls' school, we made our way home to get them changed out of their uniforms since we decided to have a family day at the fall fair.

    "Girls, go change into the clothes on your beds, and then we'll go get Avi. Your papa has someone he wants us to meet today."

...

As we made our way through the crowded fair in search of Maverick, the laughter of all my girls seemed to drown out the noise coming from the surrounding people. 

The closer we get to the meeting point, the more anxious I become. I can't help but let my mind wander into the worst possible scenarios. As a parent, your first instinct is to protect your child, so I don't doubt Maverick has picked an amazing girl, but also, as a parent, you can't help but overthink no matter how good things seem to be. 

Avielle noticed my hesitation as we walked up towards a cotton candy booth. After asking Nathan—our bodyguard—to keep an eye on the girls for a minute, we stepped out of line to have a moment to ourselves. 

Her brows furrowed as she ran her thumb across my cheek, examining my face, while her other hand was securely around my waist. "I know that look; what's bothering you?"

I closed my eyes, taking a death breath, purposely avoiding her gaze. "It's nothing, I'm just thinking." 

    "Look at me." She said, pulling me closer, "It's something if it's bothering you this bad. Talk to me."