CHAPTER 3: NUMBER SIX, SAYA DE MARIA

" WAR DOESN'T DETERMINE WHO IS RIGHT ONLY WHO IS LEFT"

____________________________________

Saya strolled through Fox Headquarters, a subtle smile gracing her face while she hummed a tune. Just as she reached to open her room's door, a voice interrupted her.
"Chris," she turned, recognizing the voice. A tall man stood there, his deep blue eyes resembling the ocean, and messy black hair concealing his expressions.
"What's up, Yuki?" she responded, smiling.
"How was your talk with that girl?" he inquired.
"It went well. I've found my joker," she answered, a hint of a smirk playing on her lips.
"Chris, are you sure about what you're doing?" he questioned, peering into her eyes.
"What do you mean?" she replied, a playful smile on her face.
"Are you planning to take advantage of the poor girl?" he sighed.
"Don't worry; I have all my cards now. If I play them carefully, I won't lose," she said, determination gleaming in her eyes.
"It's a bad habit referring to people as your cards," he remarked.
"Well, since you're here, let's play a round," she suggested.
"I guess it might turn into gambling. I won't lose to you," he said with a playful tone.
As she walked away, he stared at her back, thinking, Chris, let's see for how long you'll continue this, a worried expression on Yuki's face.

After 3 weaks.

At another place~

"Congratulations, Miss Mayari. Your injuries healed quickly, but you're not fully recovered. You can leave the hospital, but be sure to take good care of yourself," said the nurse, clapping her hands.
"Thank you; I will take care. Don't worry," replied Mayari, smiling gently.
She expressed gratitude to the doctor and nurses who took care of her and left the hospital.
Mayari's demeanor changed as soon as she left the hospital. She adopted a cold look and headed to the place where she and Saya were supposed to meet—a fancy restaurant in the capital of France, Paris.
Observing the gathering of nobles, Mayari thought, "It's full of nobles, a very fancy place, as expected from a leader in FOX."
As she attempted to enter, the security stopped her. Politely, she asked, "Excuse me, sir, can you move?"
"I am sorry, young lady, but people like you aren't allowed to enter here. It's for high-class nobles. I can't let people like you in," replied the guard, looking down at her.
"What?!" She sharply expressed her disbelief.
"Pardon."
Both Mayari and the guard turned toward the voice. "Lady Saya, please forgive me for my attitude," the guard shouted, kneeling on one knee as a sign of respect.
Mayari observed Saya, who appeared as a high-class noble in her red dress, long gloves covering her entire arm , black heels, braided hair with a red ribbon, adorned with expensive jewelry,surprisingly a decent clothes when compared to other nobles and a threatening smile.
"Why are you being rude to my guest, Mr...?" Saya inquired, prompting the guard to answer while still kneeling.
"M-My Lady, I didn't know she is your guest. Please forgive my rudeness," replied the guard, visibly shaking in fear.
"You looked so brave just two minutes ago; now, you are shaking—pathetic," Mayari thought.
"I am not the one you should apologize to," Saya declared, maintaining her threatening expression.
The guard turned to Mayari and bowed his head. "I am so sorry, Miss. I was really rude to you. Please forgive me."

Myari glanced at him and walked past without uttering a word. Saya looked at her and smiled.
"My, my, Miss Myari, don't be so cold."
"Can't we just finish talking? I have other things to do," replied Myari, her gaze piercing.

The fancy restaurant exuded an air of opulence from the moment one stepped through its grand entrance. Intricate chandeliers adorned with sparkling crystals hung from the high ceiling, casting a warm, golden glow that illuminated the richly decorated interior.
The walls, dressed in luxurious damask wallpaper, whispered elegance with their muted patterns. Tall, slender candles in gilded holders graced each table, adding a flickering ambiance to the already sophisticated atmosphere.
Tables were meticulously set with fine china, polished silverware, and crystal glassware. Soft, ambient music wafted through the air, creating a melodic backdrop to the din of hushed conversations. The restaurant's patrons, draped in elegant attire, engaged in lively discussions, their laughter harmonizing with the soft clinking of cutlery.
Waitstaff moved gracefully between tables, clad in immaculate uniforms, ensuring every detail met the high standards of the establishment. The aroma of gourmet cuisine lingered in the air, teasing the senses with the promise of culinary delights.
The seating arrangements provided an intimate setting, allowing diners to enjoy a sense of exclusivity amidst the refined decor. Each element, from the plush, velvet-upholstered chairs to the carefully chosen artwork adorning the walls, contributed to an ambiance that whispered of sophistication and taste.
Saya smiled and walked in front of Myari, leading her to a private table for their serious conversation. As they sat down, exchanging glances, Saya offered to cover the expenses.
"Do you want to order anything? It's on me, don't worry," she said, still smiling.
"That's why I hate rich people. I don't want a small friendly chat. You know why I'm here, so just tell me how I can be a Fox soldier," snapped Myari, glaring.
"My, my, I will be your leader in the future after passing the entrance exam. You should be more friendly," said Saya, releasing a small sigh.
"Entrance exam?" repeated Myari.
"That's what I invited you for. You have to pass this exam to be a Fox soldier, and after that, I will choose you to be on my team," explained Saya.
"Wait, I'll be working with you, and what team are you talking about?" asked Myari, not seeming to like the idea.
"Well, you know that Fox has nine leaders. They will watch the exams, and since every leader has its own team, they will choose who will catch their attention. I will choose you, of course, since I know everything from the beginning," said Saya.
"Wait, you're a leader. Which number are you?" queried Myari.
Saya sighed, rolling her eyes. "I think I told you when I introduced myself."
"I forgot," replied Myari.

Saya sighed again and stood up.
"Don't forget what I'll say now, Myari. Roger. I am number six of Fox leaders, Saya de Mariya. I am your leader and will help you in taking your revenge. Pass the exams, and your revenge play will start. What do you say, Joker?"
Myari was too stunned to speak but got irritated when Saya called her the Joker.
"What? Am I a clown? How dare you refer to me as a silly card in a silly game?!" shouted Myari, glaring.
"Oh, sorry, it's a bad habit. I play cards so much that I accidentally refer to people as cards. Pardon my rudeness," said Saya, smiling slyly in Myari's eyes.
"You definitely don't mean your apology, do you?" said Myari.
Saya smiled, got up, looked into Myari's eyes, and walked away, waving. "See you in the exams, Miss Myari," she simply said and left.
Myari stood there, pondering the earlier conversation. She noticed something odd.
"Wait! She said 'Saya de Mariya.' Isn't that the Royale family name? I am more than sure that's the queen's last name," thought Myari.

As Myari shrugged off the encounter with Saya, she exited the restaurant into the cool evening air. The dimly lit streets of the city were bathed in the soft glow of streetlights. The bustling sounds of the city faded as she walked, and a somber atmosphere settled around her.
As she gazed at the night sky, the stars seemed to twinkle with a melancholy echo. The soft breeze carried the scent of distant flowers, creating a poignant contrast with the heaviness in Myari's heart. The city's heartbeat seemed distant, replaced by the quiet sobs escaping her as she walked towards the graveyard.
The graveyard, silent under the moon's gentle glow, welcomed her with an eerie stillness. Rows of tombstones stood like sentinels, each telling a story of a life now stilled. Myari's footsteps echoed softly, her presence the only disturbance in the peaceful resting place.
Her fingers traced the engraved names on the cold stones, a painful reminder of the family she had lost. As she placed flowers on their graves, the damp earth beneath her fingers seemed to absorb not just the water from her tears, but the weight of her sorrow.
She sat there for a while, surrounded by memories and the shadows of the past. The cool breeze whispered through the leaves of nearby trees, carrying with it a sense of longing. Myari's tears fell freely, the heaviness in her chest escaping in silent sobs.
"I will take my revenge for you. I won't cry," she vowed, her voice barely audible against the night's silence. With great effort, she rose from the ground, wiping away her tears with determination etched in her eyes.
As she walked away from the graveyard, the darkness seemed to cling to her like a shroud. The journey home felt like a march through an emotional battlefield. Each step carried the weight of grief, determination, and the anticipation of the challenges ahead. By the time she reached her house, the world around her had blurred into a haze of emotions, and Myari succumbed to a deep sleep, seeking solace in dreams that held both the echoes of the past and the promise of a determined future.

 By the time she reached her house, the world around her had blurred into a haze of emotions, and Myari succumbed to a deep sleep, seeking solace in dreams that held both the echoes of the past and the promise of a determined future

Yukine De La Brède