CHAPTER 9: A MAGICIAN NEVER REVEALS HER SECRET

KANO STATE, NIGERIA

"Azra I'm really sorry about what happened." Amir said as he flashed a sad smile at Azra through the phone. He felt bad that Azra had to marry him because of what happened between them even though she loves someone. Unbeknownst to him, Azra was dancing with joy. To her, everything is finally falling into place, but as for Amir, he kept burying himself in guilt thinking it's his fault.
"Ugh! Amir, for the last time please stop apologizing. It's both our fault, I mean, I fell on you, didn't I?" Azra whined, Amir smiled as he looked at her through the phone.

It was Azra who had called him for a video chat, he had never had one with her, though she was always having one with either his brother or mother. He wasn't complaining though, he haboured no romantic feelings for her and he also thought, the feeling she has for him are neutral. Well, with the way she tries so hard to hide it, everyone will think the same. He just looked up to her as a younger sister, he had no idea what would happen after the marriage, but one thing he is sure of is that it is going to be one awkward marriage.

Someone cleared his throat behind him and when he turned around, his gaze met with the jealous gaze of his younger brother, Malik. Ever since they came back from Kano which has been two weeks, Malik has refused to let him explain himself and they were no longer talking to each other. Well, he did try to talk to him and still is but Malik would pretend as if he didn't know about his existence. He wouldn't lie to himself, it hurt alot! It really did, Malik is his only brother whom he loves alot and now because of a woman, they were no longer on talking terms.

Before they left Kano after Malik had left the balcony when the marriage was announced, Amir had followed him to talk to him and Malik said the only way he could continue talking to him is if he refuses to marry Azra and let him marry her instead. Amir knew he couldn't, he was stuck between familial bond and personal feelings, he would hurt Maha if he rejected her daughter after finding them in that compromising position. She would think he took advantage of her and left her, he tried to explain it to Malik but he didn't give him a listening ear and so they were no longer on speaking terms.

"Yo Mal." Azra said as she fist bumped her fist in the air, for the first time in two weeks, Amir saw a geniune smile spread on Malik's face. It didn't need a genius to know that Azra had become his happiness, only she could put a smile on his face when the world seemed to turn it's back on him. How he wished he could return his happiness to him but his hands were tied, there was nothing he could do about it, absolutely nothing.
"Hi Azy" Malik didn't try to stop Azra from calling him 'Mal', he didn't like the name but Azra refused to stop calling the name, she said it is the short form of Malik, but the owner of the name despised it, yet she refused to stop saying the name.
"Kamanta da Babar kawar Ka; you have forgotten about your best friend." Azra said as she pouted and Malik only chuckled, her hausa is really funny but none of them could laugh, least she report them to her daddy. She had always been a daddy's girl.
"When was the last time you called me? It's been two weeks." Azra said dramatically.
"Well you are getting married so you can't continue having a male best friend."

The god of silence seemed to have passed by as the entire place fell silent. Amir knew Malik was trying to rub it on his face but he didn't say anything, he believed it is his fault his brother is in his current position. Azra only chuckled and waved it off before she looked at Amir and smiled,
"Amir wouldn't mind, would you?" Azra said as she looked at Amir with a small smile, he could feel Malik's piercing gaze drilling holes into the back of his head as though daring him to say otherwise.
"I mean we have been friends for a long time, he knows it's nothing romantic." Azra said and Amir managed to nod his head with a tight smile while Malik smirked.
"We will talk later, nur and I are going to choose the furnitures for the kitchen." Azra said as she winked at Amir.
"Bye Mal, Bye love." Amir's eyes widened like saucers when she said that, they had agreed to pretend like lovers when they are outside but why would she say that in front of Malik? He could feel his piercing gaze on him before he hissed and left angrily, Azra who had turned towards the direction of the door didn't notice.
"Oh, he left." She said, when she finally turned to face her iPad. Amir could only nod his head before he hung up.