Chapter Two

After hanging up the phone, T.K. turns to Carlos.

'That was my dad.' T.K. whispers to Carlos. 'He got a call from Captain Sherwood. Your mom and dad were in an accident. They're at the hospital.'

'How bad?' Carlos asks, keeping his voice quiet.

'I don't know.' T.K. shakes his head. 'Dad said I just needed to get you and Carter to the hospital.' Carlos looks to Carter who is still engrossed in her book. 'I'm assuming he's at the hospital.'

'I don't know what to tell her.' Carlos states.

'The truth.' T.K. says simply. 'Tell her that your mom and dad were in an accident, you don't know anything yet and you two have got to go to the hospital.' Carlos nods and walks over to his sister.

'Carter.' He starts and she looks up at him. 'Can you put the book down a sec?'

'Did you get hold of mom and dad?' Carter asks as she puts her bookmark in the book and closes it.

'No.' Carlos shakes his head. 'T.K. just got a call from Owen. Mom and Dad were in an accident. We need to go to the hospital. I don't know anything else.'

'Hospital?' Carter says quietly. 'They're too loud.'

'I know.' Carlos nods. 'Do you have your loops?'

'No.' Carter shakes her head. 'They're in my suitcase at home.'

'I keep some here. You can use those but we need to go now.' Carlos tells her. 'No matter what happens, it will be okay. I'll be right there.' He grabs hold of her hand and squeezes it.

.

Almost half an hour later, Carlos, T.K. and Carter arrive at the hospital.

'My dad texted me just before we left, he was just leaving so he should be here by now. He said to meet him in the ER.' T.K. tells them.

'You wanna put your loops in now?' Carlos asks Carter, handing her a little box.

'Yeah, thanks.' Carter takes the box, opens it, removes the loop earplugs and puts them in her ear. She takes a deep breath and turns to her older brother. 'I'm ready.' She nods. The three of them walk into the ER where Owen is waiting for them. When he sees them, he walks towards the trio.

'Hey.' He nods. 'They haven't been able to tell me anything other than they're still being treated since I'm not next of kin. All I know is they were in an MVA near the airport.'

'Oh my god,' Carter gasps, 'this is my fault.'

'No, no.' Carlos shakes his head.

'If I had just told them I was coming home earlier, they wouldn't have gotten into that accident.' She adds, panicking. Carlos turns to his younger sister and puts his hands on her upper arms.

'Carter, breathe. Deep breaths.' He comforts her. Carter takes some deep breaths, slightly calming her down. 'This isn't your fault. Mom and Dad would not want you blaming yourself. Yes, you should have told them you were home earlier than they expected but this was a freak accident. I'm going to go and let the nurse at the desk know we're here, okay?'

'Yeah.' Carter nods quietly before Carlos walks over to the front desk.

'Your brother is right.' Owen tells the young girl. 'A car was driving in the wrong lane, causing the MVA.' Carlos returns and Carter turns to him.

'They're still being treated. The nurse couldn't tell me much other than they both have some major trauma.' Carlos tells them. 'They're letting the doctors know we're here.'