Chapter 1 | Jealousy

Jessica watched from afar, through the window as Charlie and John started to go on a walk with eachother.
Why not me? Why this average guy?
She watched from afar with jealousy. Jessica had had a crush on Charlie since they were 5, but Charlie always had eyes for John. She even noticed that Charlie looked slightly... intimidated by her at times. Charlie was the reason Jessica had moved to New York. It was all just to impress her.
She was so happy when Charlie came back to Hurricane. So... joyous... and... romantic?
Yet, to her annoyance, John was following Charlie around like a lost puppy.
Why can't he just leave her alone for once? Jessica thought. She wanted some time with Charlie. Other than talking about guys.
She continued to watch sadly from the window as John and Charlie walked out into the woods.
"Jessica? Jessicaaaa?" A voice said behind her. But she was too mesmerized to listen.
"Jessica!" The voice shouted, which snapped Jessica out of her trance. She looked behind her, and saw Marla.
Ah, Marla. The only person she had ever told about how she felt about Charlie.
"You still have that crush on Charlie?" Marla asked, smiling bittersweetly.
"Of course I do. She's so... pretty..." Jessica said, looking out the window slightly again.
"I'm sorry she likes John." Marla said, as if she hadn't just said John and Charlie were perfect for each other earlier.
"It's... fine...," Jessica lied. It wasn't fine. It never had been. "I mean, I don't even know if she likes girls."
"Okay. I just came in to ask if you could watch over Jason?" Marla asked, gesturing over to the sleeping Jason on the floor. "I'm going for a walk." She continued.
"Yeah, no problem." Jessica accepted.
"Thank you sooo much!!" Marla exclaimed, hugging Jessica tightly.
"My pleasure." Jessica replied. Being in New York with a bunch of assholes all around her really made her be more polite, not that she wasn't before, but now she's extra polite.
"Bye! Do not let him eat any sweets!" Marla said before leaving, waving enthusiastically.
Jessica picked up her brimmed hat and put it on. She always felt more confident in it. It complimented her shoulder-length brown hair very well.
I hope Charlie likes this hat... she thought, before looking back at Jason, seeing that he was still asleep, and lying back down on her bed, missing the feeling of Charlie also in it from the night before.

—————————————————————————

A/N

I'm sorry if this chapter is short, it's 10:24pm where I am and I'm tired. And I don't conceptualize big numbers (like word counts).