Eighteen.

Hafiz.

I stood in front of the mirror, staring at my reflection. I was wearing this white kaftan with a...grand boubou, was it? I think Anwar called it some weird Hausa name, barban riga...or something along the lines of that.

It felt weird.

Like not uncomfortable, but not comfortable either. It was not a look I had ever seen on myself. I never expected it to look this good. Paired with a silver Armani and some weird ass cap, it looked decently decent.

"That's one fucking thing to be pleased about on this damn day."

I reached across the dressing table for my phone. Opening up my snap to take a picture, I scrolled down my chats to see who I could send it to.

After hitting rock bottom, I scrolled back to my pinned chats.

Unais.

Bailey.

Grandma.

Jasra.

"Unais and Jasra it is then," I muttered to myself.

Less than three seconds after sending it, Jasra sent me a chat.

BratJ🥴: what are you wearing????

Me: do you sleep online?

BratJ🥴: who cares about that! What are you wearing??? Where are you??

Me: it's modern-day fabric made by textile companies used to cover what should and shouldn't be seen🙂It's called clothing and I think you need to keep up with the times. Cavewoman.

BratJ🥴: why are you always so annoying! Can't you answer like a normal person!? Miskeen!

Me: you shouldn't cuss as a woman🙂it's not ethical.

BratJ🥴: take your own damn advice! And stop sending that stupid emoji! You know I despise it!

Me: 🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂

BratJ🥴: I'll kill you one of these days🖕🏼stop digressing! Why are you wearing something like that?? Didn't you say you thought they looked like clowns wearing it??

Me: it surprisingly looks and feels good. It's nice, I've been prejudiced🙇🏽‍♂️

BratJ🥴: 😳😳excuse me but who are you?

I rolled my eyes.

Me: who do you think🙂

BratJ🥴: where are you?

Me: Nigeria.

BratJ🥴: what!!?? Since when do you go to Nigeria!? Didn't you say it was a dump infested with diseases!?

Me: it's reasonably okay🤔

BratJ🥴: who the heck are you and where's my Hafiz!!?

Me: you're speaking to him, idiot🤷🏽‍♀️

BratJ🥴: are you serious?? What are you doing there then??

Me: getting married🤷🏽‍♀️🙂

Before I could send the message out though, a knock came on my door and it pushed open.