Nineteen.

Aliya.

Okay, there was nothing as pointless and time-consuming as bridal makeup. Like you just sit there for hours getting a brush here and dab there and tweak here. All to wash it off in like, five minutes.

On top three hours something oo.

Was I exaggerating? Maybe.

But it was unnecessarily time-consuming. And it wasn't like I was photogenic so taking pictures was out of the question. Not that I had anyone to send it to even if I did of course.

Probably only Jasra.

When it was finally over and done with, it was around 11, meaning the men were probably back from the mosque.

"Hamma and the men are back," Fadila ran in excitedly. "It's done!"

"Awwww~"

I stared flatly at their radiant faces, wondering where all that excitement was coming from. Because I didn't feel it was anything 'awww' worthy at all.

"Mama is calling us downstairs. Yapendo invited her friends over, she wants to display your laife and dowry."

"Shouldn't that be done before the wedding?" Karima arched a brow.

"Who cares! Let's go see it! My streakers are waiting!" Fadila grinned. "They keep demanding more pictures of you BTW, and they want to see your groom too."

"Why is that any of their business?" Adda Khadija asked, helping me adjust my veil.

"Because they think she's too beautiful for him."

"Are their eyes failing them?" I looked at her, bewildered.

"Nope, yours are failing you," Adda Khadija patted my shoulders. "You look gorgeous."

I turned back to the mirror, staring from my heavily made-up face to the heavy jewellery set on my neck and ears. The white bridal lace was patterned with intricate leaves that were outlined with tiny beads.

I had never worn anything too shouty and body-hugging. But Fadila, Karima and my Addas said it was just for today.

"Oh," I said blandly, unbelieving.

"Let's go down, Inawuro is waiting for us," Adda Salma chuckled.

"You guys go ahead," I looked back to the mirror.

"Don't you want to see? It's your laife after all."

"Not really, I'll see it anyway. What does it matter whether it's now or later."

They fell silent.

"Okay, we'll come bring you down when it's done," Adda Salma said after a moment, caressing my back.

"Alright."

The room fell silent with their absence. I could finally relax, not having to force conversation and smiles.

I was married.

Married to Hafiz.

Honestly, marriage wasn't something I saw in my future, at least not for the next three years. I would finish school and do my service and residency, when I got my license, I would practice for two years before meeting a fine doctor from a respected family.

I would date him for three months, and then decide to just tie the knot seeing as I was sure I wouldn't fall in love with him. I would do it just because it was a matter of course; just like learning to talk, walk and exist.

And yet here I was, finals not written, and license not gotten, but a husband fell out of the sky. This was a classic example of 'kana naka Allah na nashi'