06- before I sleep

february 21st 2013

The Soldier's eyes were glued to the young girl's small form as she tried her best to avert her vision from his. Occasionally her eyes would meet his and they would widen and she would slightly move her head as if she tried to tell him something. When he came into the vicinity of the adolescent he immediately became captivated by the familiarity of her face.

He could've sworn he knew her from somewhere, her eyes, her nose, her freckles, they all seemed so familiar. He had seen them somewhere he was sure of it, he just couldn't put his finger on where and when. It started to give him a headache as he dove into his innermost deepest thoughts and memories in an attempt to uncover answers he knew wouldn't be found. They had just wiped his memory only two days before and as the van drove he found himself shocked at what the bumpy roads felt like.

Her deep brown hair which was also laced with a layer of grease much like his accentuated her pale white skin. She seemed pale, almost too pale to be healthy. The only color on her face was the soft hue of light pink that invaded her cheeks due to the cold. To accompany the soft splash of rose on her cheeks, little brown spots were scattered all around them.

The girl they had called the offspring- he discovered after he questioned the guard next to him quietly- was small. She couldn't have been more than 10, not even that. It seemed like an insult to be partnered with a child who hasn't even hit puberty. Despite being told she was like no ordinary girl he'd ever laid his eyes on, he still questioned her capability of completing the mission that needed to be achieved on this cold night.

When the car lurched to a stop The Offspring jerked forward in her seat. Before his mind had even processed what he was doing, The Soldier dove down instinctively to catch her head before it made contact with the ground. The guards stood up and yelled as soon as the act was enforced. One kicked The Offspring out of his hold while the other whacked him with a baton.

"Ne pozvolyay yey prikast'sya k nemu!" One man yelled to his comrades. (Don't let her touch him!)

They did just that. Within seconds The Offspring was on the ground where she rubbed her jaw that now throbbed from the force it had just taken. While The Asset was now on the other side of the van, another guard roughly yanked her off the ground and dragged her out the now-opened door.

"Vstavay, durak." He spat at her with nothing but disgust in his words. (Get up mutt)

The sight made The Soldier uneasy. He felt anger grow in his stomach but he didn't know why. That angered him even more. Why did he care if the girl got mistreated? He didn't know her.

When The Soldier stepped out of the van he was met with the usual brightness he saw every day in Russia. Because of the snow and the sun, the world seemed 100 times brighter than it was. The day was still relatively young being only 4 in the afternoon. This was perfect as the two of them still had to formulate a plan although he was sure The Offspring already had one as any skilled professional in their field would.

As they walked he found his eyes focused on a shiny item that had slipped out of The Offspring's stealth suit. He squinted to get a better look at the glistening article as it shined brightly due to the color of it combined with the sun and snow.

When they finally came to a stop at a run-down house that would act as their safe base for this short mission, he was able to acquire a better look. It seemed to be a necklace of some sort. He knew they weren't permitted to wear jewelry normally, let alone on a mission. He found the rebellion of the little girl amusing as he continued to inspect the charm on the gold chain.