Chapter Six

Hey everyone, I know it's been a while since I last posted a chapter here. So here is the next installment, like I said I am trying to stay faithful to the original while adding my own flair to the story, I hope you all like it.

The Present

Batman was going over the files of all the guards who had direct interactions with Wonder Woman. There was a select number, and they all seemed to give the exact same reports any time they dealt with her. That right there is a tip off. There's no way they could all be having the exact same experience when dealing with Diana. The Dark Knight thought as he loaded up a side by side view of all the guards in question. If all six of them are in on this, then one of them has to be in charge of what goes on. So, Bruce went through each file, finding that most of them had attended the police academy in Gotham, earned degrees in criminal justice and a few had even been police officers. One stood out to him though as a likely candidate. Lyle Bolton.

Bolton had military background as a Navy Seal, had served on the S.W.A.T team for the GCPD and had been a good soldier in the Insurgency. With all his experience, height and build, Batman was sure this was the man behind any wrong doings at the prison. But I can't go in on that alone. I'll need surveillance footage, and an interview with him to be able to rule him in or out as a suspect. The Dark Knight turned to a different part of the BatComputer and with a few keystrokes had instant access to the surveillance footage of Bell Reve. After a few minutes of searching, he realized the footage for Diana's cell was missing several entries. More than a dozen over the past two months. Scrolling back, Bruce could see it wasn't just Wonder Woman’s cell that was missing footage. So was Cyborg's, Hawkgirl's, Green Lantern's and Bane's as well. As far as he could tell, the system was not experiencing any malfunctions.

This further led the Dark Knight to believe that there was someone tampering with the video archives. So, Bruce got up and went over to one of the walls containing various gadgets. He tapped a few keystrokes on a nearby keypad and a tray slid out of a drawer. It was covered in various transparent contact lenses that were specially designed to transmit images and audio when paired with a mini microphone. Batman calibrated them to the DNA of Diana, Hawkgirl, Green Lantern and Bane. The Dark Knight didn’t bother with any for Cyborg as his cybernetics could be accessed to display any recordings he had.

As the Caped Crusader was making the final preparations for the lenses, Alfred had made his way over to his adopted son, carrying a covered platter. "Has worked escalated so much you're skipping the eye doctor and going straight to corrective lenses, sir?" Hasn't lost his sense of humor at all, that's always a comfort. Bruce thought to himself as he replied in his usual manner, "They're not for me. Something is happening to the inmates at Belle Reve. Security footage is being scrubbed, and they are all too afraid to talk about it." Alfred nodded his head in understanding then. "So, you'll have the place under surveillance without tipping anyone off as to your listening in." Turning from the work station Batman finished putting the contacts in his utility belt. "Exactly, except I'm not quite sure how to get them all dealt out. Some of them won't want to see me at all, let alone let me help them out of this situation."

Even though he didn't say it, Alfred knew there was one person in particular that Bruce was really talking about, but he decided not to press the issue for the time being. The Dark Knight clearly had a lot on his mind if he was having difficulty finding a way to implement his strategy, and digging into his guarded personal life would not help. "What if they were told it was part of a routine eye examination, the contacts could be placed in then with little to no suspicion." The Batman lit up with exuberance from the offered suggestion. "Alfred, you're brilliant!" The Wayne Family butler looked at his fingers casually as he replied in a dry tone, "Yes, so I've heard." Bruce barely heard him, already at the main computer and moving the dates of the inmates' physicals to what he needed in order to get his plan underway.