Chapter 2

"What the— okay babe, slow down. What happened?" Carabella's voice was laced with confusion, drawing me in like a magnet. The weight of the situation was etched on my face as I pressed my hands against it, momentarily blocking out the world. Releasing a weary sigh, I met her gaze once again, hoping that this time my words would truly convey the gravity of the situation.

"I saw some guy in the street. He... he killed someone right in front of me," I explained, my voice trembling with a mix of fear and urgency. The memory replayed in my mind, the raw terror still fresh. But there was more to it. "And then... he saw me before I could even think of running away. He left a note on my pillow somehow before I even got home."

A gasp escaped her lips, her eyes widening in disbelief. It seemed that she finally grasped the gist of what happened. "And that's when he told you not to call the cops?" she asked, her voice barely a whisper. I shook my head, my heart pounding in my chest. "No, not just the cops. He said not to call anyone. It's like he's watching my every move."

Paranoia gripped me, compelling me to steal a glance at the door as if it held the answers to our safety. Carabella's exasperated sigh broke the silence, her hands instinctively finding solace in running through her hair. Then, in a tender act of protection, she enveloped me in a warm hug. "We'll figure this out, mia amore," she whispered, her voice bringing a wave of calm against the chaos.

Finding strength in her presence, I reciprocated the hug, holding on tight as if clinging to the hope she offered. Nodding in agreement, I yearned for her words to be a beacon of truth in the murky darkness that had engulfed our lives.

As I finally pulled away from her embrace, a slight smile curved my lips, while inside, my heart still raced. I took a moment to calm myself, taking a deep, steadying breath. "How about you spend the night? Maybe it will help distract my mind," I suggested, my voice tinged with vulnerability.

A mischievous glint danced in Carabella's eyes as she playfully responded, "Sure, but only if I get to wear your clothes." Her smile was infectious, momentarily lifting the weight off my shoulders.

Grateful for her willingness to immerse herself in my world, I suggested a simple plan to reclaim a sliver of normalcy. "That's fine. Let's head to the store, grab some snacks, and watch a random movie from the movie bin," I proposed, rising from the bed, determined to create a pocket of joy amidst the chaos.

Carabella's enthusiastic "okay" resonated with a sense of adventure as she swiftly slipped on her shoes, joining me at the front door. We both went to the front door and I grabbed my keys from the console table before leading us both out to my car.

~~~

"Okay, let's be quick, it's cold in here," Carabella's playful urgency sent a giggle dancing through the air. I smiled, enjoying the playfulness of my friend, yet I still couldn't shake the feeling of being watched.

As we hurriedly gathered our items, I couldn't resist stealing glances over my shoulder, hoping to catch a glimpse of the man I had seen in the alley. Yet, there was nothing but innocent shoppers going about their business. I brushed off the unease, convincing myself it was all in my head.

Carabella and I made our way to the front counter, yet despite my calm demeanor my heart was still racing. The sound of the cash registers and the shuffle of bags provided a fleeting distraction, but the lingering tension remained.