CHAPTER NINE

Their match with Tokonami ended quickly, with Karasuno obtaining an easy victory. After they'd thanked the other team for the game, they all hurried off the court, heading towards the stands to take a break before the next match began.

At the exit, Ren excused himself to head to the bathroom, leaving his team behind. He didn't really have to use it, but he wanted to clear his mind and get some cold water on his face to really wake him up for the match ahead. He hadn't hallucinated during the Tokonami match, but his episodes were hard to predict. They used to be more random, but after extensive medication and therapy, they became rather trigger-based. But he hadn't quite figured out his triggers yet, so he never really knew when they would hit. However, during volleyball games, his emotions ran high and his concern over hurting others increased, so they were more likely to happen then. It'd be best to enter a game as level-headed and calm as possible, to decrease the risk of blanking out in the middle of the match. Hence why he blanked during the Nekoma match and his tryouts. He'd just been too anxious.

He found the bathroom easily, and surprisingly, there wasn't anyone there. He had the place to himself, which was a little bit of a relief. He didn't really want to encounter anyone who had negative opinions of him when he was trying to calm down.

Ren stared at himself in the mirror as he spread water onto his face, watching each droplet slip down his cheeks and drip from his jawline. The hair that was closest to his face was also wet, the golden-black strands slick and sticking to his skin. His appearance never bothered him. He hadn't ever really cared about how he looked when his brain was such a mess. But still, looking at how normal he looked on the outside, it only made him wish that he could be more normal on the inside.

But that didn't matter right now. As long as he could play, and play well.

+++++

Ren made it back in the nick of time. Karasuno was just starting to use the court for practice, and the coach had made them all line up to receive. Before he could join the others, however, Takeda-sensei beckoned for him. He hurried over, rather perplexed as to what he was being summoned for. "Yes, Sensei?"

"Coach is going to have you start out playing. I just wanted to let you know so that you could prepare for it." Takeda-sensei offered him a warm smile, reminding Ren of a father, or perhaps a kind uncle.

"Ah-thank you for the heads up." He pretty much knew that he would be a starter this match already, considering what he'd said to Dateko, but the fact that Coach Ukai had thought to give him a warning, it made him smile a little. The consideration felt nice, even if it did mean that he was being a bit of a burden.

A sudden clap on his back startled Ren out of his thoughts, and he turned to see Nishinoya standing behind him. "Where have you been? You nearly missed warmups!"

"I was using the bathroom..."

"Psh, come on. You know I know you better than that." Noya stared into Ren's eyes, and there was some sort of unspoken understanding from the libero that sent chills skittering down his spine.

"I know, Yu."

Nishinoya grinned, moving away from Ren and hurrying to receive the ball that the coach had spiked downwards at him. "Watch this! I came up with a new move the other day!"

"Rolling Thunder! Again!"

Ren slapped a hand across his mouth to muffle his laughter at the ridiculousness of his friend's antics. He was joined by Tanaka, who promptly got to work teasing the libero about his new move. But he his laughter quickly faded into a grateful smile. He knew that though what Nishinoya did seemed rather silly at first, or as a way of showing off, his intentions were anything but. Ren looked around him, and sure enough, everyone on the Karasuno team was smiling, their tense shoulders and tight expressions melting away. He could even feel his own muscles loosening a little as he laughed. This was the true strength of Karasuno's Guardian Deity. And now that they were all relaxed, they would surely pummel Dateko into the ground.

The referee blew the whistle, signaling the beginning of the match, and they all rushed onto the court. Ren took his place in the front row, looking up to stare into the eyes of the brown-haired middle blocker of the opposing team. The guy was sneering at him, a look of deep condensation in his eyes. It made Ren's jaw lock and his body burn, but he didn't bother reciprocating the look.

He'd return the favor on court anyway.

Dateko served first, rather well, surprisingly. But Daichi was there, and he sent the ball soaring into Kageyama's hands. Ren didn't shout out for the set this time, but he still started his approach. After all, who else would it go to?

As he leaped, both the ball and Dateko's blockers flew towards him. Now, he could feint over them. It certainly was possible. He was definitely tall enough. But after all the smack talk, that'd be a very disappointing first hit. He could also go for a sharp cut shot so that it'd cross in front of the block, but that was risky and also rather sly.

No, he really only had one option to go with here. So as he swung, his eyes locked onto his target. The space right in between the brown-haired blocker's arms. And with the force of his swing, the ball pierced through the block directly, blasting it away and slamming onto the ground.

Ren just broke through Dateko's iron wall with brute strength alone.

When he landed, the court was dead silent, so he took the opportunity to give the astonished blocker a smile. "I told you, didn't I?" Brushing his hands together as if he was removing dirt from his palms, Ren let out a soft laugh.

"Dust."