Chapter Two

On the way back from the gathering, Thornstar had lost a life. She had run off to "check on something", and ended up getting poisoned by drinking from a puddle tainted with acid. Thornstar had been known to be reckless in the past, but this was on a whole other level of stupidity, and the Leader had locked herself away in her den since returning the night before.

Now, it was the morning after the gathering, and Weatherpaw woke up and padded out of the apprentices' den. Marshpelt was in the center of the camp, organizing patrols. Weatherpaw made his way to the medicine den at the edge of the clearing and went inside. Briarpaw was already awake, sorting herbs in the back.

"Good morning!" Weatherpaw mewed, swatting his friend playfully over the ears. For some reason, Briarpaw wouldn't meet his eyes. "Sorry," Weatherpaw said quickly, feeling awkward. "If you're busy, I'll come back later..."

"No, actually, I need to talk to you." Briarpaw turned to look at him, looking serious. "I-"

"Weatherpaw!" Darkstorm was calling from the clearing. "Time for patrol!"

"Coming!" Weatherpaw yowled. He looked back at Briarpaw. "Can we talk later?"

"Okay. Meet me by the camp entrance when you're done..."

Weatherpaw nodded, wondering what was up. I hope Briarpaw's ok... he thought. He never acts that distant! Weatherpaw left the den and went out to meet Darkstorm in the center of the camp.

"Are you sick?" Darkstorm asked when Weatherpaw reached him, concern in his blue eyes. "You didn't drink from that rancid puddle too, did you?"

"No," Weatherpaw replied. "I was just talking to Briarpaw about something... sorry for keeping you waiting..."

"It's fine," Darkstorm said, a gleam of amusement in his eyes. "Anyway, now that Brownstep and Dawnglide are Warriors, you're the oldest apprentice."

"Wow..." Weatherpaw breathed. Darkstorm was right. He was getting closer to being a Warrior!

"That means you have to clean out all the ticks from the elders," Darkstorm teased.

"No, it doesn't!" Weatherpaw snapped back. "Lightpaw and Brightpaw can do it!"

Darkstorm laughed too. "I'm only teasing," he said. "Although you will want to savor this time, Weatherpaw. In a few weeks, you won't have to do any apprentice duties ever again. I know how much you want to be a Warrior, but sometimes, it's nice to slow down and appreciate life."

Weatherpaw nodded as his mentor went on. Darkstorm was kind and wise, but sometimes his head was stuck in the past. And I want to be a Warrior so I can prove myself, Weatherpaw reflected, thinking about his conversation with Rockflight the night before.

"Come on," Brownstep said, walking over to join Weatherpaw and his mentor with Silkfeather, Weatherpaw's father, at his heels. "I'm leading the patrol today!"

"This should be fun," Silkfeather muttered to Weatherpaw.

Brownstep led the other toms into the forest, following a well-worn trail and looking for prey. The new Warrior carried himself smugly. Weatherpaw rolled his eyes. Brownstep had only been made a warrior the day before, and now he acted like he ruled the whole forest! I'll show him when I become a warrior... Weatherpaw thought. Not long now...

"Smell anything?" Darkstorm asked.

"No," Brownstep replied.

"See any more poisoned puddles?" Silkfeather said dryly.

Brownstep and Weatherpaw laughed.

Darkstorm sighed. "Let's not make fun of our leader," he said sagely. "She is very wise, even though she is... a bit reckless..."