Chapter Eight

It had been a few days since the battle. The cats who had fought in it were still healing, and luckily there had been no new sightings of the wolves. Perhaps they really were gone for good.

Weatherpaw was talking with Briarpaw in the medicine den after a day of training with Darkstorm. Darkstorm had told him he would ask Thornstar if Weatherpaw could have his assessment soon. Weatherpaw was excited, but he wondered if the Leader would push it back because of the wolf attack.

He had just finished telling all this to Briarpaw when Firenose came into the den.

"What are you doing here?" The orange cat snapped at Weatherpaw.

"I was just talking to Briarpaw," Weatherpaw said quickly.

"Well, if you're not injured, get out," Firenose said. "I'm still treating wounds from the wolf battle!"

"Sorry," Briarpaw said sheepishly as Weatherpaw turned to leave.

"It's fine," Weatherpaw said. He blinked at Briarpaw. "I'll talk to you later."

Weatherpaw left the den as Firenose was yelling at Briarpaw. Weatherpaw felt bad that he had gotten his friend in trouble. Briarpaw's a good cat, Weatherpaw thought. I should ask him how he's doing... and about the prophecy!

When Weatherpaw walked outside, he saw that the dawn patrol had returned. Four strange cats were with them: a tortoiseshell and white she-cat, a dark ginger tom, and two small ginger kits.

"Sausey!" Flightbreeze cried, leaping to her paws from where she was chatting with Marshpelt and racing over to see the new cats. She touched her nose to the tortoiseshell's. "It's so good to see you! What are you doing here?"

"I need your help, Flight," Sausey muttered. She turned towards the other cats behind her. "This is Sour, my mate, and our kits, Dapple and Sun. We need a place to stay. The wolves have been stealing our food and territory. If we hadn't left, they would have eaten us."

"Oh no!" Flightbreeze cried, her eyes wide. "Of course you can stay! I..."

"Not so fast," Thornstar said, walking over to join Flightbreeze's side. She narrowed her eyes as she looked at the newcomers. "So, why do you want to join our Clan?"

"For protection," the tom meowed. "Please, we need shelter for our kits. We'll work hard and help you hunt. We promise we'll be good additions to your group."

"I know you took your kits here," Sausey said to Flightbreeze. "I need to do the same."

"Oh, please Thornstar?" Flightbreeze cried, gazing at her leading with pleading eyes. "Sausey is an old friend!"

"Of course," Thornstar said, dipping her head to Sausey. "Any friend of Flightbreeze's is a friend of mine."

"Thank you!" Sausey exclaimed, sighing with relief. She then turned to Flightbreeze, tipping her head to one side. "So you're Flightbreeze now?"

"Yes," Flightbreeze said.

"And you four will get new names too," Thornstar said, "once you settle in. There are no queens or kits currently, so having new Clanmates is very welcome."

"I'll show you to the nursery!" Flightbreeze told her friend, jumping up and down. "I was there not too long ago with my kits, oh, you have to see them, they've grown so much!"

Flightbreeze led the new cats away, talking with them happily.

The rest of the assembled cats didn't have an argument against Sausey and her family joining. Clan blood wasn't as sacred as it used to be, anyone was welcome to join if they were willing to work for the Clan.