Chapter 1

Note: If you have read what I've published before, please reread cause I am adding some more plot and want to keep every chapter longer hehe. Thanks :)

Zayn's POV:

Today marks the start of my senior year. I wake up early, put on a plain shirt and jeans, and have breakfast with my parents while waiting for my ex-boyfriend to pick me up.

Luke Hemmings is my ex.

Luke Hemmings and I had gone from childhood friends to lovers, then exes. Eventually, we settled into being best friends. We broke up mutually last year. We decided our relationship was better as friends.
It may sound a bit awkward, especially when we did lose our virginities to each other, but we do our best to keep things smooth between us. Even though we shared an intimate relationship at one point, it doesn't prevent us from continuing to be close friends. Growing up together, there's no way either of us would let anything turn awkward just because we're better off as pals rather than partners.

It's been fifteen minutes, and Luke is never late. I call him for an update.

"Hey Luke, running late today?" I ask.

Luke laughs through the phone line, "Nah, I just found out that my new neighbor is joining our school. And, you know my mom; she asked me to pick him up. I'm waiting outside his house. I don't know what's taking him so long."

I roll my eyes when Luke tells me about his new neighbor joining our school. Our little town rarely gets newcomers, so this is unusual news.

"Should I call Calum to pick me up instead?", I can't resist a playful jab at Luke's crush on Calum Hood, supposedly the popular guy in school; who is my Captain in football team.

Luke responds quickly through clenched teeth as he tries not to laugh, "Don't you dare!"

When Luke and I were together, he would always show up to my football practice. However, I eventually found out it was because he wanted to watch Calum play, not me. Haha.

"What's his name?" I ask.

"Harry Styles," Luke replies. "I only met him briefly when his family moved in last week, but he seems kind of shy and reserved."

"Eh, he's coming already" Luke says. " I'm on my way now. See ya!!"

We hang up and I feel curious about this Harry Styles. It's strange he's making Luke wait when he's using Luke's car. Common sense dictates that you don't make people wait for you when they're the ones driving and you're just a passenger.

But who am I to judge? Maybe he's nervous about his first day at a new school.

Harry's POV:

"Haz, hurry up and eat! Why are you taking so long? You don't want to make your new friend late, do you?" Mom's nagging grates on me. I wish I could tell her how tired I am of constantly moving and restarting my life again and again. Every two or three years, I have to switch schools, and there's never time to get close to anyone before we move away.

And now this - when did I agree to let my neighbor pick me up for school? Last week, when they visited us after we moved into the neighborhood, I pretended to fall asleep and ignored my mom when she tried to wake me up multiple times. I am exhausted by the idea of always having new people entering my life.

My parents have been separated since I was a kid, which means I don't get to see my sister very often cause she lives with my dad. Plus, with my mom's ever-changing jobs, it feels like my life is always in flux.

Mom smacks the spoon I'm using to eat my soup and says, "Harry!" I exhale in frustration and give in. "Fine... I never agreed to this arrangement. Can I at least finish eating? Ugh!" I snatch my bag off the ground and trudge outside.