5. these things eat at your bones

You were seventeen when you enlisted.

Obviously, you had to lie about your age – just a year off, not a drastic difference. The recruiters wouldn't care enough to double check, anyways. Anyone willing to join their forces was good enough in their books.

You'd been desperate, desperate for a sense of community, for a home, for something to occupy your time with.

Things hadn't been easy after your mother had passed.

She'd raised you on her own; having taken you from your father before you could realise what a father was. Said he was a bad man, didn't deserve an angel like yourself. Sometimes, you wished that you'd known him, or at least had a father figure to look up to.

That was rare, however. Your mother had done a great job in raising you – making sure you had morals and looked out for others. Always had a roof over your head, food made with love in your tummy.

It was only three months prior to your enlistment that she passed.

While you were at school, she was shot and killed in your childhood home. The day you walked through that front door, backpack a hefty weight on your shoulders, and saw her wide-eyed corpse on the living room carpet, was the day that a piece of you died.

That night, with the cool fabric of the paramedic's shock blanket around your frame, you looked up what happens after you die with shaky, blood-stained hands. A question you hadn't had to consider. Not until then.

The police wrote down your stilted words in their government-issued notepads, attempts of sympathy on their faces.

All you could focus on was the tap tap tap of your foot against the carpet, the chewed up flesh of your inner cheek, and the burning of your eyes.

You had, thankfully, managed a choked up explanation of what you'd seen.

"I came home. From school. She was just. There. On the carpet. Her eyes were open," you managed to whisper, eyes remaining in your lap.

"How did you feel when you saw her?" The officer asked.

You had half the mind to ask him that very same question. You didn't, of course.

"I felt that she deserved a better death than this. Sir."

The time after that passed in quick, blurry memories. A hand on your shoulder here, a trauma nurse there, all the while your mind could only supply you with the image of the one person you had. Gone.

"Here."

You'd looked up with bloodshot eyes and chapped lips. The man looked to be in his late forties, with greying hair and saggy features. In his hands was a steaming cup of tea – extended towards you. With trembling fingers, you took it from the man.

"Thank you," you'd murmured, before blowing across the liquid with a soft breath. It rippled with the flowing air, tea leaves simmering on the bottom. If you looked hard enough, you could make out a tree.

"Is it alright if I join you?" He asked, gesturing to the chair in front of you. You nodded, and he moved to get comfortable in his seat, eyes remaining on you. "I'm sorry for your loss."

That was, funnily enough, the first time you'd heard those words said to you.

"I'm Herschel Shepherd," the man supplied, with a small, comforting smile. He extended a weathered hand to you, and after a moment, you accepted it with a light shake. "I think I might know who's responsible for your mother's death."

You swallowed. "What? Are you," you worked your heavy tongue, "Are you in the FBI?"

He loosed a hearty chuckle at that, before shaking his head. "No, kid. I'm a bit higher up than that."