Sunshine (Ningning)

A blossoming friendship with a usually unapproachable girl called Ningning in high school. However, what if it blooms into something more ?

"AAAaah-... W-what are you doing here ?"

I blink my eyes, standing in front of the crouching girl that almost fell backwards because of her surprise.

"Hmm, that should be my question though ?"

And that's how we met.

__

She was someone who seemed quite reserved. At school, she didn't talk much apart from her close friends. But you might think 'that's normal for everyone'. Well you see, I don't really have friends at school. However, I don't seek for friends either, I was tranquil enough by my own taking care of this garden at the back of our school for three years. Yes, the exact same garden we are in, where she was petting bunnies.

"Awww you guys are soooo cuteeee, how are you living here~ ? Is there anyone taking care of you ? I will give you names !! Mmmh let me think..."

There she was, baby-talking to the bunnies in the garden. I just came back from class, ready to feed them with a bucket in hand. I don't think she has noticed my presence yet, she was still crouched down. I never interacted with her before, she hardly speaks to anyone else but her friends. I always thought we shared the same opinion, it's hard to interact with others.

In my case, I just found it draining at some point, very draining. Perhaps my social battery wasn't average even. But I wonder how this innocent looking girl who seems to have so much fun with bunnies, has a hard time interacting with people. She'd be popular if she wanted, was my thought. Afterall, most of her friends were already quite popular in our high school. But somehow she has a talent in drawing the attention away from her.

"AAAaah-... W-what are you doing here ?"

I blink my eyes. Right, without thinking twice, I was already standing in front of the crouching girl that almost fell backwards because of her surprise.

"Hmm, that should be my question though ?"

I raised my hand, showing her the bucket full of diced vegetables. Without adding any words, I just got close to where she was and carefully placed down the bucket between us. With only a nod, I gave her a new pair of gloves (it was for me if ever my actual pair ripped) to invite her in feeding the bunnies. No other words were exchanged until we finished, we could just hear our casual exhales of contentment as the bunnies were eating cutely.

She muted a small "Thanks" after we finished, as I was taking the gloves back to throw them. I showed her the fountain, closer to the main building to wash our hands after she bid goodbye to the bunnies.

"I never thought I'd see this side of you."

I hesitantly mutter, scared to make her uncomfortable. She jolts a bit, and I can feel her shoulders drop a bit. Oh shit.

"I-I didn't mean it in a bad way ! You looked fond of the bunnies, it was cute to see." I was trying to justify myself, as honestly as I could, but the last bit was maybe too uncontrolled for me to say this so I shut myself right after.

The water stopped flowing, we stood there in silence before she burst out laughing. Seeing that I didn't seem to have hurt her, I cracked a small smile.

"Nice to meet you Ningning."

__

I actually don't like crowded places. I don't exactly hate anyone, I just don't feel comfortable in the midst of all these teenagers, talking in groups. The little garden was a kind of refuge to me. I could spend time alone without being stressed out, and I could even feel peace in it. But every now and then, Ningning also drops by. She must really like it too.