III - THE START

When I wake up, Kay is still soundly asleep in her bed. I check the alarm clock (the one thing I cared to unpack last night) and I soon realize that I woke up early.

Too early.

I guess it was a beneficial coincidence because I go to the training facility today and I want to be as prepared as possible. 

I force myself to sit up and I'm careful not to make too much noise as I make my way over to my bag. I grab all of the bathroom essentials and exit the room.

~~~~

I am exceptionally proud of the slick back bun I did after my shower. Normally I struggle to get my hair up in a perfect circle without clumps and an excessive amount of stray hairs, but I succeeded today. 

The world is on my side for once. 

Garret informed me that I would be partnered up over the next week just like everyone else, except I will be ranked based on skill and agility.

I'm supposed to move my way up the scale. 

I've never been an extraordinary fighter, and I'm definitely not graceful with a sword, however I have a strategic mindset. 

As do most Formidables.

I'm not sure if that will get me where I need to be, though. To be completely honest, I have no idea who they're partnering me up with. 

As I head back to the room, I smoothen out my training attire. I don't want to look bad on my first day. The cold of the marble floors travel through my socks and send a shiver through my body.

Who turned the AC in this hallway so cold?

When I open the door, I see Kay packing her duffel bag.

"What's up, Em? I was wondering where you were when I woke up this morning," She laughs to herself.

"I just wanted to be ready. I didn't want to be late on my first day, you know?"

"Oh totally girl," she zips up her bag, "good luck today, Nick is the toughest partner you can get. That's why I was so out of order yesterday."

I nearly gasp. If I had a drink it would be all over the floor. My mouth goes agape as she looks at me with confusion. 

"Kay, are you insinuating that I'm being partnered with a Nick? Perhaps Nicholas Candor?"

"You know Nick?"

"Sadly,"

"And Garret didn't tell you about your partner?" she's genuinely lost.

I run over the events in the corridor yesterday in my head. Garret 100% didn't tell me on purpose.

"Nope, must've slipped his mind," I lie

"I guess so. You should be heading out now. They always make the newbies come in early."

I sigh and retrieve my bag from off my bed. "Okay then, I'll see you later, Kay!" I turn around and rush out of our dorm. As I'm walking down the hallway, I see a couple of other people coming out of their rooms.

I guess people like to be early around here.

I'm about halfway down the hall when I hear, "Hey, you're the new girl right? Gemilyn?" I turn around to see who on earth just called me Gemilyn. Is that even a name?

But when I see a short girl with brown braids and a big grin plastered upon her face, all troubles about the name disappear. She's wearing black cargo pants and a cropped white tank top, and there are silver bands and beads all over her skin.