02.

The Next Evening, approximately 11:30PM...

After almost 15 hours on the road, Laz, Auro and Ryder arrived in Charming. The three had their entire lives either attached to or in the truck they sat in as they pull into the long driveway of Adeline Graham, Ryder's mom. Laz pulls right in front of the house, parking. It was a large property, surrounded by trees and a concrete barrier, keeping it private. It was the home she grew up in, though it had undergone a few renovations since the last time she was here. The family business was a hit here in Charming and with club affairs Adeline was able to live comfortably with Nick, in Ryder's absence.

"Let's get this crap inside, tomorrow's gonna be a long day," Laz says, turning the truck off. A sigh escapes Ryder's lips, her eyes wandering towards the house. Odd, she thought, the woman gazes out of the passenger window as she realizes there's no light visible inside the house. Even the porch light that was always on, was off and something didn't feel right.

"Hold on, something's off," She keeps looking, "Doesn't look like anyone's home, even then they usually leave the porch light on."

In the passenger seat she puts her hand up in Laz's direction, "Laz, stay here. Auro, c'mon let's check things out."

She digs her key out of the pocket of her jeans and she steps out of the truck, hand on the gun at her hip. Auro steps out from the back seat. In a few brief movements, the two make their way to the front door of the estate. She takes the key and unlocks the it, turning the knob. Ryder slowly steps inside and flicks on the light switch. Just then, her phone starts ringing. Pulling the phone from her back pocket, her mom's number is displayed on the outer screen of the throw away and she flicks it open.

"Mom?" Ryder takes a deep breath and Auro puts his gun back in his waistband.

"Ryder, please tell me you're back in town?" Her voice had an ounce of shakiness to it as she speaks.

"Yes, we just got to the house. I just about freaked out. Where are you guys, is everything okay?"

"That's the thing, Ryder." Adeline pauses, "We haven't been home, Nicky and I are at St. Thomas," Ryder furrows her brows in confusion. The mom continues, "I need you to listen to me, don't be pissed, okay?"

"No promises, please tell me everything's okay?" She looks at Auro, a concerned look grows on the man's face as Ryder squeezes her eyes closed. He peaks out the door and gives a Laz a thumbs up, letting the other man know the coast was clear.

"Nick got shot last night at Half Sack's wake, the prospect?He had to have surgery this morning on his shoulder, doctors are doing everything they can."

"Son of a bitch," Ryder shouts, "Nobody could call me? I had to find out a day later-"

"I know, I know, I'm sorry. I asked Clay to let me be the one to tell you. I didn't want to worry you, I-" She could hear her mom's sniffles over the phone, "They have Happy here, keeping an eye out for us but I'll try and send him out if you could just come? Please?"

Ryder recognized the name. A member of the other nomad charter, Clay and Jax had mentioned a few guys they had pop in time and time again to check on her family, but his was one that consistently came up. She took in another deep breath to hold back any expletives and then she responds, "I'll be there quick as I can."

"Alright. I love you." She hadn't heard those words in a long time, especially from her mom. They had their moments since Ryder's departure to New Mexico, but those words made her feel uneasy, guilty. Ryder clicks her phone shut. She closes her eyes again for just a second before looking out the door, seeing Laz approach.

"I'm gonna get my shit to my room, in the meantime I need my bike off the trailer, my brother's at St. Thomas." She drops her key on the table that sat next to the door, as she starts to step out.