seven | sette

-

-

JILANI

As expected, walking into the garage was like walking into an invite-only car show. Luxury cars spread from one wall all the way to the other was a sight in itself, but it was nothing compared to the smug look Gabriele gave her as he said, "And this is only the first garage."

First?!

Gabriele grabbed a key off of a corkboard that was next to the garage door, labeled in Italian, which she couldn't read. She mindlessly followed him as he walked towards one of the cars, clutching her small hand-held purse tightly in her hand. They approached a Ferrari, visible to her by the symbol on its front, but she had no idea its make or model. All she did know was that it was a luxury car for sure if its detailed and finely upholstered inside had anything to say about it. She almost felt as if she were disrespecting the car with her rather drab appearance. The feel of the leather was unreal and she unconsciously rubbed her hands over it as she marveled at the car. So this is what it meant to have money.

"Just so you know," Gabriele started in a bored tone, starting up the car. The purr of the engine was so smooth she thought she could cry. "This is my personal car, we all get one when we graduate, so you'll get your own eventually. That being said," he gave her a stare and it took everything in her for her not to give him an odd look back, "no food or drinks in my car. None of that make-up shit either, I don't want anything spilling this leather."

Jilani squinted at him, "I don't know how many girls you've had in this car that made the mistake of doing that, but I'm not one of them." She turned to pull at the seatbelt, "I don't even wear make-up that much, and if I do, I usually plan out my time to where I have the time to put it on inside the house, from the comfort of my vanity."

He shrugged as he began to reverse, having pressed the button to open the garage moments before. "Just letting you know."

"Thanks, I guess," she muttered under her breath. She clutched her purse tighter between her hands on her lap. She felt as if she were trying to hide something she stole. After all, it's not every day you have a black card casually in your bag. Jilani was rich but to an extent. That black card was probably the most money she had ever single-handedly held in her entire life. While she did make a considerable amount from bets placed on her, she knew her winnings were nothing compared to what this family probably had stocked up.

The drive into the city was quiet. Jilani fiddled on her phone, trying to play the game she had downloaded when she was bored on the plane, while Gabriele hummed to himself, playing some Italian alternative band. Go figure that was his type of music, she supposed.

The total time of the trip was about forty-five minutes. With the mansion being so far out from the city, it took a considerable amount of time to get into the city and then additional time to actually make it to the desired location. Genoa was much like New York in that the city was crammed together. Buildings on top of buildings, barely any sort of parking space, that sort of thing. The first time she had gone to New York from her small little Texas town, she nearly gave herself whiplash, it was that different.