Introduction Nice to meet you

Proofreader: azzianna

Nearly three thousand years ago, Hippocrates, a physician in ancient Greece, once said a cool quote: ars longa, vita brevis, art is long, life is short. It seems that the meaning of the art that the doctor spoke of at that time and the art that we understand now probably have different meanings. Hippocrates' ars probably refers to knowledge, medical skills and technologies for curing disease. Studying and researching until death is not enough, while our lifetime is limited. Therefore, before dying, you should study and acquire a lot of knowledge as much as possible or you will just die being stupid.

Then you'll say I didn't warn you. You know? ok? That last sentence, I highlighted in egg color*. Haha.

* = to give color

Later, almost a hundred years ago, "life is short, art is long" became a popular quote in the ears of Thai people. Thanks to Professor Silpa Bhirasri, a great artist, father of Thai contemporary art, one of my idols had put a new spin on this phrase. Even though the meaning of the word "art" has changed, the gist of the phrase is still perceptive and inspiring. It is a reminder to realize the value of time. Artists' life only last for a short time but the art they create will adorn the world for a long time. As for who defined the meaning of the word art as well as the word life, it depends on each person's perspective.

As for the present, the year 2010, I am Peeranat (about my last name, please allow me not to reveal it, because I am being chased by many creditors). I would like to come up with a new motto to use as well, as the old one has been around for thousands of years. Society's values have changed countless times to adapt to the time. It fits the life situation that I'm currently facing. The thought that I hold onto and believe to be most suitable for me is:

If you want to have a short lifespan, come study Art.

[TN: 😮😧😂]

Although it has not yet been certified by the Royal Institute, I believe that the sentence I have invented is no less true than what those thinkers thought. It is  the truth that I realized myself. It also received confirmation and approval from my friends. Although they are not the ones who are knowlegable, the one who are awake, the ones who are joyful*, they are experienced people who have met the same fate. We agree that this is the truth, the eternal truth of nature. Life is short because you study Art. This sentence is so true.

If anyone doesn't believe, please come watch and listen.

[*พุทธะ แปลว่า ผู้รู้ ผู้ตื่น ผู้เบิกบาน Buddist terms: enlightened person (พุทธะ) is the one who is knowledgeable, the one who is awake (from ignorance by the power of knowledge), and the one who is joyful.]

It was now past 5:00 a.m. and I was still sitting with my back bent in a long hall with a high ceiling. My back faced the sky, I was in front of a 1x1,5 meter canvas. Those room are affectionately called the Shops of the Faculty of Fine Arts. If it's a sculpture classroom, it's called the Sculpture Shop. As for the painting classroom where I'm currently working, it's called the Painting Shop. But no matter which shop, the condition is not much different. Because all of them are wide rooms with hardly any space left for walking. Every square inch is filled with pieces of art, things that will become art, and things that used to be art.

There were the remains of ruins of a canvas frame, pieces of wooden frame, and a statue of a Greek God head rolling next to a Buddha head. Next to it was a broken cross near a sketch of Buddha Uma Devi. There were paintbrushes of various sizes scattered throughout the room. Some were stuck in cans of condensed milk. Some were in Ovaltine glass jars.