Chapter 5

🌷Juliette🌷

I had done it. I had finally convinced Connor to get coffee with me.

We sat in a window seat, his face in a scowl and mine in a pleasant content smile as i gazed out of the window at the clouds passing over head.

"You know, you should try talking more, if we're going to be friends." I say to him, he just looks at me before going back to drinking his coffee.

"You know, i feel like you could be a really nice guy if you acted a bit kinder and if you talked a bit more then you could have loads of friends, i mean, you're attractive, you're-"

"You think i'm attractive?" he asks with a smirk. He has dimples, oh my god.

"Uh, i mean, yeah? Can i not compliment my friends?" His smirk disappears as i say this, strange.

Not too long later the bell above the café door jingles and i hear footsteps approach our table, suddenly i feel an arm around my shoulder and tense up; that was, until i heard a voice.

"Hello, angel," i heard a soothing Irish accent say.

"Fionn!" I stand up and hug him, "I've missed you, i feel like we haven't seen each other in forever" I say dramatically.

As i let go of Fionn and sit back down i see Connor with an agitated look on his face, staring at Fionn, 'odd, i thought they were friends?'

"Oh sorry, am i interrupting something?" Fionn asks with a knowing smirk on his face.

"Oh no, you're not a bother we don't mind" i state, obliviously.

Fionn sees the permanent glare etched on his friends face and decides that it'd be better if he left.

"Shite, just remembered i actually have a job that needs doing at home, gotta run." He says and pecks my cheek before throwing a grin at Connor who is sat with fists clenched so tight he looked liked he's pop a blood vessel in his hand.

"Are you alright Connor? You seem annoyed." I ask, concerned about my friend.

"'s nothing." He replies shortly to which i just nod, i've learnt not to push things when people don't want to talk about them.

Flashback:

"papa, tu vas bien ?" i asked my father who hadn't been in a good mood since he got back from work.

"je vais bien, ma petite fille." He spoke in an irritated tone.

"es-tu sûr? puis-je faire quelque chose pour aider?" I ask politely.

"oui, colombe, laisse-le tranquille, je vais bien" He says before turning to retreat into his office.

"papa, honnêtement, je suis sûr que je peux trouver un moyen d'aider." i try to convince him.

That's when he breaks.

I'm a flurry of frustration he knocks a vase from the table and yells,

"tu ne comprends pas Juliette? J'ai dit que tu ne pouvais pas m'aider, alors arrête d'être une nuisance et laisse-le tranquille!"

I recoil at that and bite back the tears the burn in my eyes. Nodding silently, i excuse myself in a quiet, broken whisper before exiting the room and running to my bedroom. That's when i learnt; don't push things if you want to keep people happy.

End of flashback

Connor has a slightly concerned look on his face when he noticed how i spaced out.

"Juliette? Lettie?" He asks quietly as i come back to reality before my mind registers that he actually called me Juliette, and he gave me a nickname! The only nickname i've had was Julie which i didn't like much, it made me sound old, suddenly, a huge grin grows on my face.

"You gave me a nickname!" i say loudly as he looks away, probably embarrassed from the how loud i was speaking.

"Why Lettie? i've never been called that before," i ask curiously but he doesn't meet my eye and answer. Oh well, i'm sure i'll find out.

Lettie. I like it.

-

⛓️Connor⛓️

Lettie. I called her Lettie. I'm such a fucking idiot.

I barely know this girl and yet i'm giving her nicknames and drinking coffee with her, what has happened to me.

I'm already embarrassed enough, i was not about to tell her why i chose that as her nickname, it would just lead to me wanting to bury myself even more.

As we're about to leave the coffee shop i give her a once over and notice how that smile has never once left her face since i spoke those few words to her. I've never known a nickname to make someone so happy before, but then again this is Juliette, the most bright, sunshiney girl i've ever met.

We exit the coffee shop door and she looks at me with a smile before bidding me goodbye as she walks back to her place and i walk to mine, spotting Fionn along the way.

"You're a dick you know, man?" i say to him, referring to when he interrupted at the coffee shop.

"I don't know what you're on about mate." Fionn states with a knowing smile. "Why do you care so much? You looked real agitated when i got up close with her."

"Whatever, it doesn't matter, Lettie didn't seem to care." i say before i can stop myself.

"Lettie, ey?" Fionn's smirk grows.

"shut the fuck up, you heard nothing alright?" i threaten him.

"yeah, yeah whatever mate, i thought you didn't care?" Fionn says slyly.

"i don't. Now piss off, you're annoying me." Connor mutters.

"Ok, ok, i'm going" Fionn raises his hands in surrender before continuing walking.

'Lettie' Fionn thinks as he walks away, 'joy and gladness. That's fitting.' He lets out an airy chuckle.

901 words